Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Retreaded sci-fi villans (slight Andromeda $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Retreaded sci-fi villans (slight Andromeda $$$)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A) They come out of a giant hole in space
B) Their sole motivation is to "KILL EVERYONE"
C) They will not negotiate, or even communicate
D) They have absurdly advanced technology, usually in one special area which is also their weakness
E) There are frelling LOTS of them, sometimes including one REALLY unkillable one

We've got Voyager's 8472, Wing Commander's Nephilheim, Freespace's Shivans, Babylon 5's Thirdspace aliens, and most recently Andromeda's... whatever they are. They also all share the property that we rarely find out anything REAL about any of them, because all that's compelling about them is the mystery, and the only thing compelling about a mystery is solving it. There has to be something BENEATH the mystery to keep it interesting.

So my questions are twofold: are there any other examples of this cookie-cutter villan race? And can we trace the point from whence this idea originated? 'Cause I'm REALLY getting tired of the predictability...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Countless B-Movie and direct to video releases have used similar villains, in fact, I'd venture to guess that there is not a single space adventure in the direct to video that does not have mysterious advanced killer aliens, which are then killed by a woman named Victoria removing her top. Combined with the sultry sounds of a MIDI saxophone, the Aliens are struck dead.

To an extent, the aliens in Independence Day were as cookie-cutter as you can get, although they did get infected by the Klez, so hmm. They were fairly adamant about the whole killing everything. Their guns were their downfall, with the Randy Quaid man who SHOVE IT UP YOU A-R-S-E!

I would have given my eternal soul for him to have said that. I still will.

Those damn dirty bugs in Starship Troopers had to kill everyone. They even shat out crazy alien shat to kill everyone. I don't remember how the humans won, though. Presumably when Denise Richards removed her top. If she did. Which she probably did. Because she's a whore.

What about those Damn Dirty Aliens from War of the Worlds, by that one older writer guy, Tom Clancy, I think. What was their motivation? Maybe they're similar too.

Blood suckers from Outer Space sounds like a good candidate as well. I don't know if it is, but it's got blood suckers, so c'mon.

Of course, if this is not what was asked, then, again, like always, ignore me.

[ May 25, 2002, 21:49: Message edited by: The Ulcer Mongoose ]

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what to say about them, but it'd be nice if they were related to Trance in some way.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ID4 aliens and the Martians both wanted to colonize Earth, which made some sense for the Martians, who lived on a planet fairly like our own and very close.
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they terrorized us! Colonization does not equal terror! The White Man did not slaughter his adversaries when advancing to the New World. Oh.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nor did those spanish speaking fellows from Spain, all gleaming and shiny as they were.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except! Ho! Below their shiny armour was a fleshy veneer that could be best described as white!

I digress.

Anyone who's had the misfortune of seeing Copolla's lesser-known masterpiece, Captain EO, at Disney[land/world/enclave] would know that Maurice Hurley clearly walked out of the Magic Kingdom one day in 1988 with a glazed look over his eyes and went home to write a certain little episode. Six months later, the madness that was that damn 3D bug still whispering in his ear caused him to break down, and he ran screaming from the Paramount lot straight into the arms of David Hasselhoff's agent. And so it came to pass that there was Baywatch.

And lo, there was rejoicing, for the evil demon on the TNG writing staff had been vanquished, and Roddenberry arranged strippers for all, and the mystic knight known as Michael Piller strode forth to take the place of Hurley. But the dusty old corner office still echoed with the falsetto refrains of MJ, and seven years later, when Ron Moore and Brannon Braga sat down to continue the tale of the Borg, the spirit of Captain EO struck again. And so it came to past that Alice Krige inherited the mantle of Anjelica Huston.

Oh, Hollywood.

[ May 26, 2002, 00:36: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's obviously been too long since I've seen Captain EO. If such a thing were possible.
Member # 239

I seem to recall rumours of a missing scene where Picard moonwalks, but that's an unsubstantiated report. There was a lack of "boogeying", in any event.

BONUS POINTS: Captain EO opened at EPCOT on my birthday. Fulfilled, I am.

[ May 26, 2002, 00:36: Message edited by: The Ulcer Mongoose ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We've got Voyager's 8472, Wing Commander's Nephilheim, Freespace's Shivans, Babylon 5's Thirdspace aliens, and most recently Andromeda's...
If I'm not mistaken those aliens were code-named Nephilim... something about an ancient Hebrew legend of "giants in the Earth".

C and D don't really apply to them, though. They were all to eager to insult you -- both in funny bug linguo as well as in English -- which is a form of communication. Blair exchanged words and thoughts with the hive.

As for their technology... it was only marginally ahead of Confed's. Definitely not absurdly advanced.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Nephilim. . . would they have fields, by any chance? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were farmers, yes.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'd be correct in assuming they worked in the, er, Fields of the Nephilim, right? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Member # 480

Surely you're thinking of Kevin Sorbo's award winning "Hercules: Teh Legendary Journeys".

There was a crystal-powered microwave oven in one episode. Pretty great science fiction, you ask me.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps