Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Queen of the Damned...spoiler, I guess.

Author Topic: Queen of the Damned...spoiler, I guess.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I started watching Queen of the Damned a while ago. Before I even got the movie I had low expectations of it. And now that I'm watching it, I think they were warranted. Anyway, I've never read the Anne Rice books but I assume the story intentionally has nothing to do with Interview with a Vampire aside from the name Lestat and that the novel was the same way in that aspect. If not, why the hell does Lestat have a Hungarian accent now? In fact, why would ancient Egyptians have Hungarian accents? Oh well.

There are these people, called Tabasco or some other silly name. They're vampire watchers, nothing new there. One of these watchers said, "We observe and record, but never interfere." Sound familiar? Highlander! Dawson and the Watchers. I doubt it's a coincidence, seeing as this movie also had a scene obviously identical to Interview. "That's enough sucking of my blood, Louie" You know, that scene where Louie is turned and is getting a good dose of Lestat's blood and he gets pissy about it. Anyway, that watcher quote seemed like a blatant rip-off to me. Same situation, same sort of people, same quote. Really bad movie! *resumes watching it*

[ June 15, 2002, 05:19: Message edited by: DeadCujo ]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the Watchers do resemble the Talamasca.

THE TALAMASCA
We watch
And are always here.
London Amsterdam Rome

I remember in the early days of the Highlander series thinking—hey look they made a Talamasca for the immortals.

The Talamasca's activities are a little more along the lines of paranormal investigations than vampire hunting. They’ve shown up in a few of her other books (The Witching Hour) and have made references to here other non-vampire characters (Ramses-the Mummy).

Not defending the movie, mind you. Though considering how bad the source material was (one of her worst books), it wasn't too bad.

[ June 15, 2002, 14:05: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be a rabid fan of Rice, but I've grown since then, and now--it's strange--but now I almost despise them.

The last one I read was Memnoch The Devil. I dunno about any of you, but I hated that book. It was the last thing I read out of a grudging sense of "I've gotta finish it, because what if the next one gets better?" I realized after I read the last page that I had been wasting my time, and I promised myself I would never do that to myself again.

I think the Vampire books have their most intense fandom found in teenagers. That's when I became so enthralled with them. If I had read Memnoch when I were 16 I probably would have loved it.

I thought Queen of the damned was a pretty good read the first time, when I was a kid, but flipping through it while gathering books for the Used Book Store Trade In, and I was really put off that I had enjoyed some of that.

It's like reading some of those old comics you thought were great back in the day, and realizing that they aren't nearly as good as they once were...it's kind of sad.

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. I am now rereading them because I forgot mostly about them. I kind of hate the fact that the characters go into mindless philosophy drivel. I never thought vampires could be so boring. If you read the books before Queen of the Damned you get an idea of the things done in Bk III. The Watchers from Endgame seemed more of rippped off of the Talamasca to me.
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps