Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » 2001: A Space Odyssey (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 2001: A Space Odyssey
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. My mistake. I meant wires holding up the pen (even if they filmed it on a sheet of glass). I know models are filmed on motion-control rigs and the like.
One of my favorite HAL lines: "You seem upset, Dave. Maybe you should take a stress pill." (or something like that)

[ June 17, 2002, 14:55: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this vision of this 60's-era Liam hotly disputing any suggestions of the film's brilliance when it was firat released, and telling all and sundry that The Jetsons is much more realistic. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was. [Smile]

No, since this isn't about music I agree with Simon. It is a masterpiece. It does set out what it was meant to do. And I'm not sure if there's any other way they could have done the end sequence.

I'm glad I've seen it, but I'd rather have my bollocks electrocuted than see it again.

2010 is much less of a masterpiece, but in many ways it's a superior movie.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, like that dude who snogged Ursula Andress.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watch for the dildo-suit flight stewardess, the one that walks like she has had a mindchip inserted into her brainstem, to make her an efficient, detached worker and sex slave.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wish i had one of those.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all wish you had a mindchip.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i meant i wish i had the dildo suit.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh...

no comment

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

good. the fewer questions the better.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1337 insertion fantasies aside, 2001 is an incredible film, with a very potent message. I am surprised so many of you who apreciate good science-fiction aren't all that into it. Perhaps you haven't seen it on the big screen. That's really where you will come to understand the magnitude of the thing. I was lucky enough to catch the restored 70mm print up in SF a few months back. It was amazing. There is so much detail.

I mean the acid-freak-out sequence at the end is easy to poke fun at, and it could be argued is the weakest moment of the film. I don't claim to understand it, and wouldn't even hazard a guess around you lot. That excepted, the film had so much to say about the plight of man and his tools and which is which. It poses difficult questions and evokes uncomfortable emotional responses and does so with such vivid and tangible imagery. I mean the visual storytelling is just remarkable. There are so many big budget films that have come out since with access to all this newfangled technology, that can't even touch it. It is truly is a masterwork.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be funny if they made a movie called 1337, and a whole bunch of script kiddies and the like went to see it, and it turned out to be about the beginning of the Hundred Years' War...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, really, vice versa.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To really appreciate the technical brilliance of this movie, you have to see it on a big, big Cinerama screen. If you've only seen it on a 14" TV, you might get the completely mistaken impression that that over-literal matte-lined piece of crap 2010 was a worthy sequal. The effects, filmed with long, stately cuts, blows any other predigital effects completely away. Blown up to 40 feet, the effects are absolutely bulletproof.

Too bad about the ape suits, though.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if 1337 is 'leet, is 2001 Zool? Isn't that the superghost of Ghostbusters I? I sense a conspiracy!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps