Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Most ships on screen at one time? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most ships on screen at one time?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honest question: Where the starships in AOTC rendered with CGI or were they models?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they built models for just about all the ships, but that the actual things we see onscreen are CGI. Of course, if you went to the right theater, everything in the film was CGI, of a sort.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say the cinemas with Digital projectors are better, because the CGI looks much more realistic and intricate, the old film-projector makes it look daubed-out and plastic.
BTW, none of the Clone troopers were real, every last one was CGI. They sure had me fooled at the "rush-the-dustcloud-while-firing" and when that trooper checked to see if Amidala was ok from the fall.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most reports I hear say that, while promising, digital projection tends to look washed out and decidedly uncrisp.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, as I said I've heard opposite.

Especially the Ep-II end-battle on Geonosis was digitally more decipherable when taken in as a whole, one could see more individual objects and soldiers without it all looking like a big mess.
I read it on the Swedish official Star Wars page, some test-audience had been shown both versions.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would interest me. I have only seen it at a normal theater and it looked great. Very crisp images, very good color saturation, hardly any defects or dropouts. All in all grade A++.

I would love to see it at a theater with a digital projector, but I don't know of any around here. Anyone else from Germany who would know any cinemas with that kind of equipment?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What always disapoints me is the sound. Not so much once the film is going (because, obviously, you have to love those seismic charges that Jango used), but at the beginning. The THX logo sounds great, and then when the music kicks in, it always feels a bit...flat, like Williams is only using half an orchestra.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I've only seen Ep2 via DLP. It was pretty impressive how crisp the detail was and the lack of dirt was incredible. I was a touch disappointed at the resolution surprisingly. I guess it's to be expected, but in high contrast scenes you became very aware of the pixelation and that round shapes were not, in fact, round. I think HD will be fantastic for home use but leaves something to be desired for movie theatres. You figure the image is being blown up onto an 80 foot screen *does the math* and suddenly each pixel is 2 inches across. If anything, I do think the technology will help the fanboys count ships.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only comment that Phantom Menace is the one DVD I own that looks really good on my computer monitor. In fact, the pod race sequence looks better on my monitor than on my tv...
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that always the case? PC monitors have a far better resolution, refresh rate, etc. than TV sets, don't they?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that's not always a good thing. The lower quality of TV sets means that they essentially come with built in anti-aliasing. The thing that Graphic Card manufacterers are now trying to put into their graphics cards without slowing everything down.

The small size on monitors compared to TVs also lets things down.

Also, your TV quality will improve massively if you use a fully wired SCART cable. Or if you switch to PAL. Or both. [Smile]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Like I do when I use my home-cinema. And I don't even have to switch. PAL is our standard in this deck of the woods. [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"neck"
Nim
Member # 205

Anti-Aliasing is not hard to switch off if you know the "Properties\Settings" window. At least not with Creative's cards.
I have a Creative GeForce4 Ti-4600, I can choose between AA Off, 2x AA, Quincunx AA, 4x AA, 6x AA.

Although, when I download Media Player or Quicktime movies, AntiAliasing is my friend, since even bigres-movies look nicer with it on, like the new Two Towers movie, or Star Wars.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Nim Pim Pim:
Anti-Aliasing is not hard to switch off if you know the "Properties\Settings" window. At least not with Creative's cards.
I have a Creative GeForce4 Ti-4600, I can choose between AA Off, 2x AA, Quincunx AA, 4x AA, 6x AA.

Er, did I say it was?

(And that would be with NVidia's cards, rather than with "Creative'", who did pretty much diddly squat other than follow the blueprints they werre given)

(Oh, and you have an absurdly good graphics card. I hate you.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps