Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Jurassic Park Inaccuracies (one of'em)

Author Topic: Jurassic Park Inaccuracies (one of'em)
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lowdown, my stance.

Dinosaurs don't shriek and roar when attacking/pursuing prey, this was added for drama. Just like modern predators (tigers, wolves), dinosaurs would've been damn silent until they had subdued the prey. A tiger doesn't hate its prey, it's not angry at it, in fact, it loves to taste it and drag it home to the family.

The only time a raptor or T-Rex would need to roar and bellow is, like any other animal, when being challenged to a duel for leadership or over mating with a female, not when trying to eat ONE human.

There's also a debate as to how the dinos sounded. I read an article by some asian paleontologist a couple of years ago, he claims the T-Rex's larynx didn't permit it to roar like in JP, more like shriek or peep, like modern big birds and lizards.

What do you people think?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was a movie and done for dramatic reasons. Sometimes you gotta remember it's just a movie made for ENTERTAINMENT, not a documentary going for 100% accuracy.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was expecting the dino buffs to challenge my statements, I mean we all know it's "just a movie".
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, it's not "just a movie". it's also a book, and several bad video games.
IP: Logged
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably was more of a high pitched scream than a rumbly bass roar, due to the relatively narrow area of it's throat, and large sinuses. A peep wouldn't sound right, considering the vast area the lungs took up in a Rex's chest cavity. Lizards peep because they can't force much air out their throats.

Velociraptors were much smaller than they were depicted in Jurassic Park. Those were more likely smallish Utahraptors. V-raptors were only max three feet tall. That was a well known goof for the dinosaur buffs, but they blew it off as part of the story...the dinos were mutants, after all.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I think it was a movie and done for dramatic reasons. Sometimes you gotta remember it's just a movie made for ENTERTAINMENT, not a documentary going for 100% accuracy.

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Free ThoughtCrime America:
Velociraptors were much smaller than they were depicted in Jurassic Park. Those were more likely smallish Utahraptors. V-raptors were only max three feet tall. That was a well known goof for the dinosaur buffs, but they blew it off as part of the story...the dinos were mutants, after all.

Indeed, the Utahraptor (a Velociraptor relative, IIRC) was first discovered and described shortly after the first film came out. (I remember an interview with Speilburg mentioning it.)

You'll note that the appearance of JPs raptors changed subtly in III, appearing more "Velociraptor-ish". [Smile]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'raptors' are closer in size to Deinonychus or Dromeosaurus (probable spelling mistake). Utahraptor was taller.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Natural History Museum (London) web site has a very useful Dino-Directory.Deinonychus is the closest to the JP Raptors.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Nim
Member # 205

EdipisReks: "no, it's not "just a movie". it's also a book, and several bad video games."

You misunderstand. The statement was made to emphasize on the fact that the JP movie was just a movie, and therefor, not to be taken too dinobuffly. On the other side, there's this part of me that really wants to nitpick and learn, so let us embrace the buffing verily!

Proteus, why did you just quote Hobbes? What was the purpose of that???

Thanks for the links, IC, they're great! The Utahraptor is now my new favorite!

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

Just checked that directory at NHM, did the Carcharodontosaurus really have a very long tail? The artist's rendering had it bending its tail at least 90 degrees...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:
Just checked that directory at NHM, did the Carcharodontosaurus really have a very long tail? The artist's rendering had it bending its tail at least 90 degrees...

Artists are artists...

My books say that whilst several specimans of C. have been found none of them are complete, and tail vertebrae are not listed amongst the known parts. So it's probable that we don't know how long, or how flexible, the tail was.

However, I agree that the picture is probably inaccurate in that respect. The scale outline shows a much more typical theropod tail.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

B***er. Double post.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps