Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Thing

Author Topic: The Thing
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just.....*ahem*....acquired the Thing for PC, and this game is really good. it's been a while since i've felt this kind of tension in a video game (i think the last time was the marine section of the first Aliens vs Predator). it incorporates elements from Half-life and Resident Evil, but it is infinitely scarier than Resident Evil. pretty good graphics, too. the NPC's act fairly naturally, and it has this cool system where you have to work to maintain the AI's trust. otherwise, they won't work with you, or might even kill you. when they are scared enough, they puke and shit themselves and even collape dead from a heart attack! very sweet.

it is one of the first movie based games that i've ever played that didn't suck really really hard. the thing was a good movie, and the fact that the game stays true to the atmosphere of the movie is definitely a plus. i might actually have to go out an buy this sucker.

IP: Logged
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good movie too [Embarrassed] )
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thing SE DVD (Are there any DVDs that don't require a SE?) is worth a look, too. Depending on how you feel about the movie, it might be better served as a rental, however.

This was John Carpenter at the peak of his powers, I think. Sure, "Big Trouble in Little China" is usually the film that gets the praise, (and deservedly so...I can still watch it from beginning to end after watching it at least ten to twenty times over the years) but it's with The Thing that Carpenter hit on all cylinders.

But one thing I would like to ask: Where did the visual of a decapitated head walking around with tentacles come from? Did it originate with this movie, or did it come from anime, or some H.G. Geiger type of artist? Not important, really, but I've always wondered...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crab/head bit was definatly from the movie, I was actually watching it the other day and that is definatly my favourate moment, I laugh every time. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that's quite what he's getting at. As an iconic image, was it original to the film, or had it been percolating in some other sector of memespace?
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point: I've seen dozens of animes with a decapitated head sprouting appendages. I'm wondering if we owe thanks for all that great animation to The Thing.

I wonder about things like that.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how did we get from discussing that to big alien tenticle rape?

Eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 480

Er, we didn't until you got here.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As is his wont.

Anyway, I borrowed the game from a friend of mine who deemed it "too fluffy" to merit a second inspection. Now *that* sparked my curiosity, because he's the kind of guy who practically lives on blood, intestines and everything else you'd normally expect to find in Anatomy #101.

So... I've only crapped my pants with anxiety once before, while playing the colonial marine about to run shit outta luck in Aliens vs. Predator, but I must say The Thing tops it hands down. Especially when it's dark, and the volume's turned up to the max (enhanced further by a 400 watt subwoofer), this game *can* theoretically induce a heart attack. Neat!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the reviews I read state that the arbitary killing off of your teammates is the worst part. You can blood test someone, he'll pass, and then you'll walk into the next room and he'll transform, because you Have To Do The Next Bit Alone.

Or something like that, anyway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps