Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dick's Paycheck (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dick's Paycheck
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount Pictures is banking on John Woo to direct PAYCHECK.

The helmer is in negotiations to direct the futuristic tale of a man who can't remember what he has done for the past two years. Based on a short story by prolific sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick, the protagonist must seek clues to his whereabouts using common objects such as a ticket stub and bus token to uncover a government secret.

Woo also is attached to direct THE DIVIDE at Disney. Helmer, repped by Endeavor, spent two decades in the Hong Kong film industry before making his U.S. debut with HARD TARGET in 1992. Since then, he's helmed FACE/OFF, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, WINDTALKERS and BROKEN ARROW.

Brett Ratner had been in talks to direct PAYCHECK before committing to SUPERMAN; Kathryn Bigelow also had considered helming the project.

The script for PAYCHECK has been adapted by Dean Georgaris. Producers are John A. Davis, Michael Hackett and David Solomon.

Paycheck was originally published in 1953. Film adaptations of Dick's short stories have included MINORITY REPORT, TOTAL RECALL and BLADE RUNNER, released shortly after Dick died.

Before its development at Par, PAYCHECK was set up at Roger Birnbaum's former Caravan Pictures. Caravan and Touchstone optioned the film rights to the short story in 1996. (As reported by VARIETY)

(I'm looking forward to this)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know if i like the idea of John Woo doing a p k dick story. Woo's American movies have been.....less good than his Hong Kong blood operas.
IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the futuristic tale of a man who can't remember what he has done for the past two years"

I'll tellya, I can totally relate to the geezer.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked this story. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumored star? Matt Damon.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is actually one of my favorite stories by Dick. There is another (which I can't remember the name of) about humanity and ants fighting an ancient war that I liked better, but considering it only had one man in it, it would probably better serve as a short film.

I wonder why Dick's stories are recently becoming the hot commodity in Hollywood.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiders. Ants and spiders. Humans are more or less caught in the middle, though the spiders are on their side, essentially.

Also: recently?

Member # 480

No, the war was between humanity and the ants. The spiders were created by humans to kill ants.

What's the name of that story?

And: Minority Report was what I was thinking of, but it seems as though several of his stories have been optioned out lately.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'm almost certain that is not so. As I recall, both spiders and ants had been around for tens of millions of years longer than people. We should all go reread it to be sure. If I can find the title. Which I can't. Hmm. It's in the first volume of his collected short stories. You'd think I could find a table of contents somewhere, but no luck. Wait! Is it..."Expendable"?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I wonder why Dick's stories are recently becoming the hot commodity in Hollywood."

"Also: recently?"

Three movies in two years...

Member # 480

The spider tells the man: "The last group of you that knew the full story started us going. We were bred"--the spider chuckled in it's own fashion--"bred some place for this worthwhile purpose. We keep them down very well. You know what they call us? The Eaters. Unpleasant, isn't it?"

And yes, it was Expendable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, it's off to the gallows for me.
Member # 480

Remembering silly details of obscure stories is my forte.
Member # 480

Remembering silly details of obscure stories is my forte.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps