Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost In Space

Author Topic: Lost In Space
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw something on the Sci-Fi channel the other day that brought back memories. I believe it was the pilot for Lost In Space.

It had no Dr. Smith. Not even a mention of him.

Same thing with the Robot.

The plot was similar to the first few episodes of the regular series (Irwin Allen loved to recycle old footage and scripts, and often did).

What really made the whole thing a slice of 1960's conservative propaganda (and I say this affectionately) was at the end of the program, when the family gets out of the Chariot, having migrated to the tropical part of the alien planet.

They all get down on their knees while dad opens what I presume to be a bible. All except for Major West, who remains standing but bows his head (mid-60's symbolism for a guy who wants to project a macho image, but really believes in God). As the family is giving thanks for arriving safely at their destination, the camera pulls back to reveal two aliens spying on the family from the undergrowth.

Presumably, these aliens are evil -- in LIS, ALL aliens were evil until the humans defeated them by virtue of superior firepower and morals. Besides, the music was playing an ominous, paranoid tune.

It was quite entertaining. It's amazing to see how far our society has come from those paranoid fantasies. If you think the women of Star Trek were relegated to a secondary role, just watch Lost in Space and you'll see how advanced TOS was relative to the societal norms, as portrayed on the small screen.

I have since set up my VCR to record LIS and plan to view it frequently, at least until I get my fill. It's kind of campy now, and thus entertaining.

--Baloo

------------------
Technobabble Incorporated!
Taking technology to the edge...
...and pushing it over!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! The post-amoeboa strikes again!

------------------
...and pushing it over!

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! The post amoeba? Not in my forum!

*Directs the angry mob in this direction*

Isn't it strange how the post amoeba usually strikes Baloo?

Anyway, its a good thing they decided to add them for the real episodes. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

------------------
Garak: Interesting. You saved the day by destroying the world.
Bashir: I bet they didn't teach you that in the Obsidian Order.

-Deep Space Nine, "Our Man Bashir."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, this post amoeba only duplicates the link to a thread, not the actual thread...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Drat! Yesterday I forgot to set the timer on my VCR and I missed the premier episode of LIS.

I started watching LIS with the second episode (when all the episodes were new) and had to catch the first episode in reruns. I think the first 6 episodes were played pretty straight (still campy when viewed from a modern perspective) before the writers admitted to themselves they knew nothing about science and started having fun at Dr. Smith's expense.

--Baloo

------------------
...and pushing it over!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps