Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Version)

Author Topic: The Fellowship Of The Ring (Extended Version)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked it up on Saturday. I got the other version on the Blockbuster plan, but next time around, I think I'll wait for the extended version.

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

$
$
$

Lothlorian's additions, where the party gets the gifts, was nice to see, and I wish it had made it into the first release. There were some excellent views of Rivendale that were added. Over all, I think it makes the story easier to understand if you haven't read the books, and adds to the enjoyment for those who have read the books.

I'm trying to get my sisters to watch, but, with one exception, they just wont sit down long enough. My brother started watching it last night, but he can't sit for 15 minutes, much less 3 hours and 25 minutes. We were watching the scene where Legoless is telling Boromir who Aragorn is, and I started to explian it to Boe, and he said "Who's Aragorn", so for the rest of the time we were watching, I just used the actors names, since he knew most of them. I don't know if he will ever finish it. We stopped at the gates of Moria.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make me crazy. I wouldn't recommend anyone watching the film before reading the book anyway. But, if they can't sit still in front of a movie then it would be hopeless to give them the book. They probably wouldn't get past the opening Forward.

For me, the film didn't really getting going until Weathertop, it just wasn't very coherent up till then, that's because they had to cut so much from the book for the sake of running time. But the film, on the whole, is still a terrific adaptation. And I was glad to see the Lothlorien gift giving sequence back in...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The addition to the big meeting in Rivendale was also nice.

There were many small additions that helped scenes amke more sense.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have any problems understanding the movie, and I haven't read LOTR since I was a wee lad. My memory of the book is very dim...the only thing I recalled was Sting, and when we were at the theatre, I said "Oh look, it's Sting!"

And my friends were like: "Were is he? He's not in this movie!" and "Is he one of the elves?"

How is the commentary by Peter Jackson? That'd probably be the first thing I'd watch.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll do that one next.

I bought it last week as well, spectactular, especially the discs with the extra material.

What those who haven't read Quenta Silmarillion probably don't appreciate, when the fellowship met Galadriel and Celeborn, is that Legolas accurately described Durin's Bane in Moria as "one of Morgoth's Balrogs"! How cool is that?

Not only is this the first direct reference to the ancient times of Middle Earth in LOTR, but it shows Legolas isn't some wet-behind-the-ears youngster. Since his age isn't specified, he might've been around when the Morgoth and the Valar did the boogie.

And what I never noticed before watching the movie with the Cast Commentary, was that Aragorn takes over Boromir's arm gloves before leaving, a nice gesture.

The narrative by Bilbo in the beginning is a bit strange to get used to, but it's no major gripe, and informative.

($poilers for those who still haven't read the books)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oh, and finally I could freeze-frame and identify Ereinion Gil-galad in the Last Alliance. He was actually higher-ranking than Elrond, and passed on Vilya, the Great ring of Air, to Elrond, at the building of Rivendell. Very sad that he died in that battle.

End-spoilers$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4$$$

Gil-galad fought with his famed spear Aeglos (Snow-point) in the movie, the only spear in the books that got significant attention. The spear was one of the grandest and hardest weapons to make for the swordsmiths of Weta, I'm dying for a real pic.

I got many a good laugh when listening to Orlando Bloom and the hobbits comment on the film, especially in the end of the track.
*Elijah Wood* "Well thanks for listening to us at the cast commentary of The Fellowship of the Ring"
*Billy Boyd* "Yes, et was lofly, but ded we really haf teu be neked? It's seu coeld in here. Really."

These audio commentary features are so great, it's so nice to get to hear the actors talk, especially John Rhys-Davies, whom I've never gotten the chance to hear off the screen.

A pity they never interviewed Hugo Weaving or Kate Blanchett in the other material, but I guess you can't have'em all.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, you sold me, I'm gonna buy it.

One question: does the extra material cover how Gollum got the ring? Because my current theory is it'll come up in TTT.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some extra footage (in Moria?) where Gandalf mentions the fact that Gollum used to be called "Sm�agol", but he doesn't tell the whole story.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the action sequences seemed to make a lot more sense in this extended cut. Like Gandalf v. Saruman, and the cave troll and Boromir's last stand. Just seemed to flow more cohesively. Haven't watched the extras yet.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget where I originally got this, and I apologize to the original poster, but the MTV spoof is pretty damn funny and well made.

Easter Egg
Hidden Trailer / MTV spoof

Access The Egg
To access The Two Towers sneak peek trailer that was shown briefly in theaters at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring, go to the last page of the scene selections menu area and select the number "48" on the far right-hand side of the screen.
Then navigate "down" to reveal a hidden Two Towers symbol. Press "Enter".

To find this one, go into the Scene Selection menu on disc one, and head to the final page where you'll find the real Council of Elrond scene. Highlight that scene and press "down" to find an image of the Ring. Press enter to view the entire clip from MTV complete with an introduction from Peter Jackson.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was more filmed of Gollum's finding of the ring. There was originally a scene where Smeagol and Deagol are fishing on the Andiun in a small boat. I've seen a photo of it, yet it didn't appear in the special DVD edition of the film.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'll be in TTT, I've seen the boat-pic too.

Thanks a bunch, Woozle! I'll check it out post-haste. Rapido-bastardo. Top Doc. Numero Uno Honcho. The Head Cheese.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

Just watched that easter egg, damn fine custard! (little Peter Jackson joke I did there).

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:

One question: does the extra material cover how Gollum got the ring? Because my current theory is it'll come up in TTT.

I think something was added to the opening, where you get the back story, but not to that part. We still got the same scenes as in the theater.
Plus the line tim mentioned, in Moria.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps