Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » War of Honor ($poilers)

Author Topic: War of Honor ($poilers)
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honor's back!!!

First of all, thanks to Treknophyle for bringing this series to my attention in this thread. I eventually managed to get my hands on all the books and really enjoyed them.

But anyway, on to WoH:

Quite good, I thought but most of the novel was taken up by what felt like scene setting for the next few books. The Honor/White Haven thing seemed a little incongrous to me; not sure why but it didn't really seem right. Not to mention it all seems a little hard on poor Honor after all the trouble she's had with her love life.
The political manouverings of the High Ridge Government were... interesting to say the least. Really emphasised what a buch of complete and total prats her enemies are. I do find it slightly hard to believe that they could have fucked up quite so badly, especially regarding the strength of the People's... sorry, Republican Navy.
And what of the Republic? Well, they've done a damn good job rebuilding their navy... and very nearly up to RMN standards too. And between the idiocy of High Ridge & co. and what amounts to treason on behalf of the Secretary of State, things are not looking good for peace in the sector at the beginning of the book.
...and then there's the Andermani. Yet more problems for the Kingdom. The steady escalation of tensions between the Kingdom and Empire is similar to that between the SKM and the peeps during SVW, but gripping anyway.
...and then there's the Sollies. With the sixth terminus emerging near territory that is about to be swallowed up by the League. Or rather was; it now lookes as though it'll be manticoran territory before much longer...

By the end of the book things are looking better; the Second Battle of Sidemore was good reading as ever and it was good to see Honor kicking asss again [Big Grin] , the Andies have finally seen the light vis a vis the Republic and (most satisfyingly) the High Ridge Government is out the the Alexander government is in!!!!

On the other hand the Peeps (or should that be Reeps?) have pretty much kicked the Alliance back to it's starting points, the Erewhonese have defected and relations with the sollies look like taking a turn for the worse.

Overall i enjoyed WoH; not quite as good as some of the earlier ones (Especially the first two) but still pretty good.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to say that I haven't read it, I booked it (little wordplay there for your humor, thanks for playing along!) in advance and bought it from the first batch that came into Sweden. I also have Phyle to thank for this series and will read it with gusto when I'm done rereading "Hitchhiker's".
I was thinking of rereading the whole Honor-series but thought it was too big a bite. I have it fresh in me noggin anyway. :.J

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!! I haven't actually bought it yet (although I am going to); some kind soul's put it on the internet [Razz] . [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are entirely welcome.
I myself am only 1/2 way through.

What did you think of the cd-rom?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the maps and schematics of ships are nice and detailed, although they don't seem to've listed the components in the schematics, so you don't know what you're looking at...

The cover art pictures are good, a pity they didn't include the alternative cover art as well, I kind of liked the one for the pocket version of Basilisk Station, even though Nimitz' eyes were red.

It's great to get all the other books (More than Honor, Worlds of Honor, Changer of Worlds) as well, but I feel reading them in book-form is more comfortable, preferably in bed or on a couch.

I'll add my .02$ when I've read the book.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Yeah, reading it in book form is much more comfortable.

I'm gonna have to order it off Amazon; it's funny, but I've only seen the first three over here, I had to get the rest in the States. The Honor of the Queen was definitely my favourite.

Incidentally this site features all the cover art.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

What is this "The Service Of The Sword"? Hmm...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

It's the next short story collection. There are snippets here.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps