Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Space: Above and Beyond request (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Space: Above and Beyond request
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, maybe if somebody developed a website that let you type in certain keywords and then find you sites which pertain to them, that might help. You could call it a "search engine," perhaps.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who didn't really like this show? Who scoffed at the implausibility of it all? Who ridiculed every technological inconsistency? Who nitpicked at the whole faux-military feel to the whole thing?

Sure, it was a nice enough drama, and it looked really purdy, but PUH-LEEZE...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Mark, you can take solace in the fact that not a whole lot of people tuned in.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: "Technological inconsistency"

Yes, no teleportation, no shields, no warp, no replicators, no hyperspace, no Force, no androids. Just ordinary fighter jets with pressure-sealed cabins, short-range missiles and lasers, which dock in a space-faring battleship/carrier that's fighting a losing war.

I can't imagine what little improbability nugget you've picked up on that can outdo the shit Star Trek and Star Wars has pulled.

Invitro fertilization? Yes, that stuff is, like, Year 10000!!! ;-)

Faux-military? It's way better than "Starship Troopers", if there will be a spacefaring earth navy in the 2100's, this is what I'd want it to be like.

And the artistical quality of it, same as Millennium and X-Files, muyo bueno. And they used Lightwave for FX, just like Babsi-5, so the CGI evolutionized over time. Mmm...

Does anyone know if you can buy SAaB on DVD anywhere? I always regretted missing the pilot, that shit was 90 minutes of Fox-budget heaven!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the space battles were so fluid, no damn "dampening fields" here. Like the Bab-5 Starfuries, the Hammerheads were flexible and fast.
The dogfight between McQueen and the Chig superfighter in "The Angriest Angel", that was good stoeghf.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod Pimding:
[qb]Mark: "Technological inconsistency"

Yes, no teleportation, no shields, no warp, no replicators, no hyperspace, no Force, no androids. Just ordinary fighter jets with pressure-sealed cabins, short-range missiles and lasers, which dock in a space-faring battleship/carrier that's fighting a losing war.

Yes androids. Remember the AI Wars? Take a chance? Them ridiculous crosshair contact lenses?

Yes hyperspace, or some unexplained form of FTL travel. In the first episode there was mention of catching a wormhole and how tough it was, but therafter the ships seems perfectly able to get wherever they wanted to, whenever they wanted to.

quote:
Faux-military? It's way better than "Starship Troopers", if there will be a spacefaring earth navy in the 2100's, this is what I'd want it to be like.
Hell, no. So-called "fighter pilots" who were also expertly trained for infantry, tunnel ratting, spec ops, and a multitude of ships and vehicles? And who regularly swapped between these roles? I think not. At least in Troopers they STAYED troopers. Fleet had the planes and ships. The only thing they shared was a silly plot.

quote:
Does anyone know if you can buy SAaB on DVD anywhere? I always regretted missing the pilot, that shit was 90 minutes of Fox-budget heaven!
I've always said it looks really pretty. No argument there.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps