Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Animatrix order of stories

Author Topic: Animatrix order of stories
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I've just got the animatrix DVD. Luckily in Australia last month for 3 Days there was a cinema release of the Animatrix - here and in New Zealand were the only places in the World I believe... and it was QUITE an experience - the sound, the huge screen. I had only seen the Matrix before that - when it came out in 1999 - and hadn't gotten round to getting the DVD as I was waiting until we got a good sound-system at home to appreciate it (I have finally bitten the bullet and purchased it the day before I went and saw Reloaded) ANYWAY I Saw the Animatrix at the movies on the Friday night and again on the Sunday night (final session) because I was so enamoured with it. It was BRILLIANT and hottet up my enthusiasm for Matrix Reloaded (and for getting the DVD of the first movie).

SO, I just purchased the Animatrix DVD just then. I opened it up and noticed this story order:

1. The final flight of the Osiris
2. The second renaissance part 1
3. The second renaissance part 2
4. Kids story
5. Program
6. World Record
7. Beyond
8. Detective Story
9. Matriculated

I am dissapointed. This is SO the wrong airing order. It doesn't make sense - and does have a nice flow to it.

This is the order to the cinema release of The Animatrix:

1. The Second Renaissance, Part 1
2. The Second Renaissance, Part 2
3. Program
4. Beyond
5. Kid's Story
6. World Record
7. Matriculated
8. Detective Story
9. The Final Flight of the Osiris

THIS order is makes much more sense. It just works better. It opens powerfully. It ends powerfully. It doesn't end on a wimper like "Matriculated" - IMHO the weakest of the lot.

So I have a little advice - copy the order of the cinema release - and watch it like that. I saw the 'movie' twice in three days - It was so brilliant. Actually - it might be better than Reloaded!! [Smile]

I'm going to make up a little page to stick inside the DVD cover with the cinema release order - so when I lend it to people they will discover the Animatrix the way I did.

It just makes much more sense.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I felt the Animatrix was arranged thematically, beginning with "Final Flight," which is the most like the films in more ways than one, and ending with "Matriculated," which is the only short that really goes beyond the basic setup to consider the future possibilities.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But to me having Final Flight last left the biggest 'bang' to the end - AND it was basically a cliff hanger AND leads nicely into Reloaded.

Matriculated was just another 'a day in the life of the Matrix universe' like everything else between 2RpII and tFFotO.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too feel that matriculated was the worst of the bunch. I'd leave that and world record off that little page your making. If we are going to start discussing orders of viewing I would put them in two "episodes". I would have the first "episode" as having the shorts most linked to the films - Second Renaissance 1 + 2, Kids story, Detective Story and then finally Final Flight Of The Osiris. The second "Episode" would be the shorts that elaborate various aspects of the Matrix - Matriculated, World Record, Beyond, Program. I think that way people would be able to view that which interests them most and the other similar shorts.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought "Matriculated" was painfully self-indulgent, but it really isn't a "day in the life" piece as has been suggested, at least not in my eyes.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps