Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Spoilers)

Author Topic: $$$ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Spoilers)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the advice of High Admiral TSN, I hereby proclaim this thread to the one where you can spoil the book to your heart's content. Have fun and play nice.

So... what actually happens in this story and was it worth the wait?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$ (for the stupid who didn't see title)

The "Order of the Phoenix" refers to a clandestine organization which fought against Voldemort during the first 'Wizard War'. Among its members were Dumbledore, the Potters, the Longbottoms, Mad-Eye Moody, etc. The remains of The Order (including Snape) have reassembled following Voldemort's return at the end of "Goblet of Fire."

Dumbledore is under attack from the Ministry of Magic - Fudge doesn't believe Voldemort is back, and Harry is being smeared in the wizarding papers as a liar seeking attention. Percy Weasely has sided with the Ministry, cutting off contact with his parents (the twat). To make things worse, Fudge's anger at Dumbledore results in a new position at Hogwarts: "The High Inquisitor", a real witch of ... I mean, a real bitch of a witch who also happens to be the new Defense Against the Dark Art's Teacher (who refuses to actually SHOW any of her students how to do any magic, instead just lecturing ... this leads to Harry organizing "Dumbledore's Army", a group of students meeting secretly to practice spells).

Hagrid is missing through most of the book. He's been "on a mission" for Dumbledore. Speaking of Dumbledore, he's not around much at all either.

Harry's really pissed in this book, and for good reason. He feels left out of the loop, and you'd think SOMEONE would say "good job" when he fights off two Dementors who attack him at 4 Privet Drive. Oh, did I mention the Dementors are out of the control of the Ministry or Magic? Yeah, that's bad.

Various Items:

Sirius Black is killed.

McGonagall is attacked by Ministry of Magic agents and is almost killed.

James Potter was a real ass to Snape.

Fred & George "leave" school early, after promising to sabotauge the institution following Dumbledore's "departure"

Hagrid has a brother.

We meet Neville's parents, and learn something interesting about Neville and the possibility that *he* was supposed to be "the boy who lived"

Gilderoy Lockhart shows up (briefly)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sirius Black is killed.
Wow, so that dumb ass on another forum I read really did spoil the novel in the subject of his thread. What a jerk.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$

I was ready to kill someone on another forum when he said Hermoine died - she doesn't, but she is attacked towards the end and you don't find out she isn't for a little bit, so I was thinking "she's dead, she's dead!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it a little strange that nobody explained what this arc was all about. Or did I miss that part?

Rowling really has a talent to create characters that make me angry. Umbridge deserved a bigger punishment IMO. Hope they'll deal with her properly in the next book.

And Malfoy was finally sent to prison. I wonder why his wife was spared.

One of my favourite lines
McGonagall: "He has achieved high marks in all Defence Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

Does anybody know the difference between the normal and the adult version besides the cover?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does anybody know the difference between the normal and the adult version besides the cover?

There is none, as far as I'm aware. It's just to allow commuters to read it unembarrassed on the Tube. Although how you're supposed to read a 766 page hardback with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix printed accross the front on the Tube with noone noticing what it is I don't know.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hermione & Dumbledore.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And Malfoy was finally sent to prison. I wonder why his wife was spared."

Well, she wasn't one of the attackers at the Ministry of Magic, was she? Technically, they can't prove she knew what her husband was up to. In fact, while she may have been a collaborator, I'm not sure there was any evidence she was an actual Death Eater. I don't recall any indication that she was at Voldemort's resurrection (not that that proves anything, since most of them weren't named). But, she may simply have no mark on her arm, and take a less active role in everything, leaving her unlikely to be arrested. Voldemort would obviously do well to have agents who dont run around in costumes, killing people, and who can be easily identified just by rolling up their sleeve.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah but Dumbledore told Harry that Kreacher had went to the Malfoys and had received orders from them. I guess he would only take orders from Narcissa.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People still have characters named Narcissa/us/y?

Honestly?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Why not?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun with the magical little monster:
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1539

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps