Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dune (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dune
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, first post.

Anyway, has anyone read the novels Dune, by Frank Herbert? Excellent books really. Currently I am reading the Children of Dune, Book # 3.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

quote:
Anyway, has anyone read the novels Dune, by Frank Herbert?
Yes. And that's a neat old-timey way of putting it, too.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried. Read "Dune" and "Dune Messiah". Got about a third of the way through "Children of Dune" before I just couldn't take it any more and decided to turn them all back in before I clawed out my eyes. Though I did shelve them all on numerous occasions.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very, very few people bother to read past Dune, for good reason.

Well, actually, I guess lots of people bother, as they were all bestsellers. But look at what sells the best. Uh, anyway, my point is that post-Dune, critical opinion tends downward.

I've cooled on the Dune books a lot since those bygone days of, oh, 1998-99, but Dune is justly considered a classic novel.

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, their philosophy is really heady. Not really action sci-fi, that's for sure.

--------------------

-Einstein

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the books. On a nondescript shelf. Somewhere. Where I'll never find them again. I got started in the first, but I had to put it aside because it brought on acute symptoms of Campcultishy syndrome.

Oh, the pain.

But I did have a kickass trip on that psychedelic from Lynch, so I'd like to think I know the basic story.

[ August 23, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got 'um all, read 'um all.
The original novels pick up after 'God Emperor', 'Heretics' is my favourite though (after the original, of course.)
As for 'Messiah' and 'Children', they were little more than epilogues to the classic novel.

The newer prequels by Herbert's son and Kevin J. Anderson are but pale shadows.
I shudder to think what they're going to do with Dune 7, especially after such a brilliant cliff-hanger in 'Charterhouse'.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean Chapterhouse?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid spellchecker.

--------------------

djewell
Member # 1111

please don't reveal, I'm not there yet.

--------------------

-Einstein

EvilTree
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for EvilTree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm not into very mysterious weirdo type sci fi, but starting from God Emperor of Dune, I didn't quite like it anymore. It got too weird for my taste.

I rather liked the politicking and intrigue and blowing shit up in the first 3 dune books.

Maybe because I like military sci fi the best.

--------------------
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

knivesout
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for knivesout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the whole Dune series. Like the Reverend says, it picks up again after God Emperor. Chapterhouse made for a very open-ended ending - possibly because Herbert wanted to carry it on but death intervened - but then again, Herbert tends to have very open-ended endings,if you've read his other works.

It isn't kickass space opera by any means, but I find SF has always been a genre based on ideas - perhaps Herbert just kept his ideas a little closer to the surface.

I agree that the Dune prequels are pale shadows - if you've read the sort of thing the younger Herbert and of course his collaborator Anderson come out with on their own, I suppose it was a good career move for them to piggyback on Frank Herbert's vision and turn his masterpiece into yet another SF franchise. Bleah.

I also like Herbert's Pandora trilogy - The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect and The Ascencion Factor. these were co-written with Bill Ransom who completed the last volme after Herbert's death, and they explore a world and a set f basic concepts/issues as fascinating as that of Dune, if less sweeping and epic.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say that I cared much for the books though the story was great. Just too many strange concepts I guess. One prequel was printed in part in a magazine. The one where Duncan Idaho was a child being hunted for sport by some perverted freak probably a Harkonen. Not bad, he kicked booty and fled, tough kid.
IP: Logged
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Can't say that I cared much for the books though the story was great. Just too many strange concepts I guess. One prequel was printed in part in a magazine. The one where Duncan Idaho was a child being hunted for sport by some perverted freak probably a Harkonen. Not bad, he kicked booty and fled, tough kid.
That would be The Beast Rabban (beefy red-headed bloke, homicidal maniac, can't miss him.)

For me the biggest let down in the prequels was the origin story for Gurney, I was expecting Leto to actually go and rescue him from the slave pits, not have him stow away with the Duke's new blue wall. It was a little weak.

For those of you who dislike the freaky weird type of Sci-Fi that the original Dune was, there are parts in the later books which are very much the 'classic' idea of what a Sci-Fi world should be.
Robots, space battles, high-tech troops, cloaking devices that sort of thing.

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I may still have those books around here somewhere. Was the part about the Robot wars that they skimmed over at the first of the old movie ever fleshed out any where. I don't remember any details about it if it was.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps