Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Wing Commander (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wing Commander
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm warning you about the 4X thing. You're just making me want to go and drink a fairly rubbish beer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Kosh] Good. [/Kosh]
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only WC game I've played through is WCIV.
I loved the cutscenes, I was actively engaged in the plot.
When standing in the mess hall I felt I belonged there, felt so part of it.
I was moved by the plot twists, the humor between Pilots and Marines, I was sad about Vagabond's demise.
The weapons loadout was great too, I really felt I made good choices and primed my fighter.

"Tachyon: The Fringe" is another game where outfitting your fighter really gives the game an RPG-feel of accomplishment.
My drawing a 50'000 credit jackpot in New Vegas didn't hurt my Ship Budget either.
Didn't stop smiling for minutes. :-)

Anyway, the whole WCIV-experience was awesome. Then I searched out WCIII (Vintage Game of the Year edition), didn't even get to 30% of it.
It felt so much harder, some of the missions had extremely unfair odds and timeframes, the quality of the game engine and graphics was understandably poorer, it tired me to the point of not wanting to pick up where I left off.

Prophecy just didn't draw me at all. Bad timing for me, perhaps.
I was all up in Quake II at the time, I think.
*sigh* Oh, the years gone by.

About the movie "Wing Commander", I liked the design of the capital ships, and the Kilrathi Fighter.
There's something about asymmetrical that they got right, in the games also.

The human ships looked like flying trashcans, what the hell were they thinking?
Grumman F6F HellCat built by six-year olds, only using parts from their treehouse and grandpa's broken tractor. *ka-snort*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl Nim. Personally, WC4 sucked. I didn't play it often just because it was to hard. On the Confed side, you only got to pick Hellcats and Longbows. I really like Hellcats but they could of used the Excalibur too (flying in a HUD mode was giving me a headache too. Into WC3 too much)

Oh I killed off Vagabond in WC3. When he came back in WC4 I though he pulled of a spock of some sorts..

For some strange unknown reason, I agree with you about the movies Kilrathi fighters. In a sense they were pretty kewl, much like the Dralthi in the first WC IMO. The movie sucked because the whole "Pilgrims" idea to Blair was giving me a headache, Maniac wasn't fat enough and that big ol' Gatling gun and square wings was not a very appealing look for those Rapiers (although I did like those Raptors). IMHO it would have been kewl if they used the original design of the Rapier minus the big laser cannons.

To me prophecy really sucked because it was too damn easy. Like I mentioned before Nightmare is prophecys hardest level and I beat it withen the day. But what really sucked the most, is they killed of Blair! F*** I was pissed when they did that. For a while, I thought that Casey was going to do this Rachel and Stilleto choice thing like in WC3 (Rachel VS Flint Prize: Blair). They didnt which was a relief.

Well thats my 2 cents [Big Grin]

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

EvilTree
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for EvilTree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played WC III and IV more for the plot than actually blowing shit up experience. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a some sort of direct translation into movie of WC 1-4.
(Well, you'd have to somehow de-age Mark Hamill and rest of the lot)

I also wouldn't mind seeing a new version of Armada. I like the fact that you can play as Kilrathi. Is it me or did the front of Jrathek looked like Batmobile?
Actually, maybe Armada remade into something like Imperial Galactica II?

Who said you can only fly Longbows and Hellcats in WC4? You get to fly plenty of stuff, like Vindicator, Avenger, Dragon and I think another version of Arrow. Though Stormfire mk1 was too powerful.

So many games which can be turned into an excellent game. I'd pay good money to play BOTF 2 or SW: Rebellion 2.

That ends my little rant.

PS: Saffron Burrows is damn hot.
PPS: Thanks for reminding me of the piece of junk called WC, the movie [Razz]

--------------------
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WC III and IV were too hard? Am I living in a parallel universe, or is this what growing up with FAQs and cheats does to a country.

Your walkthrough's have made you all weak!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For a while, I thought that Casey was going to do this Rachel and Stilleto choice..."

You are a disturbed individual.

EvilTree
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for EvilTree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, no offence but Rachel looked like too much of a MILF/cougar for my liking.

--------------------
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, One game that hasn't recieved many good reviews, or hasn't gotten much attention, yet IMO is still a good space combat game, is Starlancer. I've played it through a couple times, and there are some really hard/damn near impossible parts, but that just made me happier when I finally got past them. Oh well.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen bits and pieces of the WC movie - enough to stear me clear.

As for the versions that I've played: I, III and IV - that's it. Never knew about II until I'd got III and then it was too late to get a copy. Never managed to get a copy of the others either. [Frown]

WCI! Back in those days I had a 386 with 1MB of ram and a 40MB hard drive with PC speakers! Sure brings back some memories! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Wing Commander movie.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Cartman
Member # 256

What was that, Midget Boy?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Wing Commander movie.

That better, Cartman? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had an enjoyable soundtrack.
Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By only you could fly Longbows and Hellcats, I meant on the Confed side the other one was really kewl I must add.

What I mean about the Racheal Stilleto choice was that in WC3 Blair did the same thing with Rachel and This other character called Flint.
Disturbed? maybe... Imaginative? yep.

PS WC3 was hard up to he dreadnought part. That thing blew the living shit outta me...

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps