Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Question (Fiction Writing): Wanna bounce a question off of y'all

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Question (Fiction Writing): Wanna bounce a question off of y'all
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking this fiction writing class this quarter, and I had the idea of writing about a computer virus, but before I can do so I need the input of an informed individual.

I know this is all very vauge, but its because the idea isn't completely formed yet. I just thought I'd ask around to see if the idea was even remotely feasible.

The Rundown:
A computer virus that travels through electronic devices, much as a normal computer virus does, however this one invades mobile devices as well (cell phones via radio waves, televisions via satellite transmission, or from the TV to the remote controller, etc).

Since I'm totally ignorant of such things, the question is: Can a virus do such a thing? Can a virus infect different types of systems like that?

Also, could a virus encode/decode itself to mask it from virus-seeking programs? Could it compress itself to more expediently move between systems?

These are only the first questions I need answered before I go ahead and begin drafting a storyboard. Any input is helpful! Thanks.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any device with an operating system that has access to the Internet and can execute programs received via the Internet are probably (note the use of "probably") able to become infected with a computer virus.

Could one virus infect all those different types of systems? Maybe if it were built in Java. Otherwise, I think the virus would have to be ported for each type of operating system each system is running. Plus, everything would need to have the same exploitable weakness(es).

The virus, if secretly developed in a Montana shack and away from all prying eyes and if executed as soon as it is released, would probably be able to avoid the virus scanners. It takes a bit of time to analyze the virus and write the patch/update for it (and then more time to get it out to all users).

All the above is based on my limited knowledge of viruses and how they work. Let me stress that it's really limited. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. However, keep in mind that you're writing a fictional story. In short, you can make the virus do whatever you want. Some evil genius hell-bent on world destruction because his girlfriend dumped him could create a self-mutating virus with a bit of artifical intelligence thrown into it that could do everything you want it to. Or it could be the always popular government-secret-project-goes-awry.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mobile phones: Actually, I believe I came across an article on Slashdot about a month ago indicating that they found a virus that targetted cell phones, probably in Korea. Considering the amount of functionality they have, including Internet access, it was/is probably only a matter of time.

TV and remote control: Doubt it. As far as I know, most TVs (let alone controllers) don't have any modifiable firmware or anything that could store a virus. But my ExpressVu satellite receiver does.....just a thought.

Different types of systems: Well, I was reading through one of the worm reports, and it was interesting as far as the various methods it would try to use. Not only would it do the old "root through the Outlook address book and send out emails" trick, it would try to somehow propagate through instant messaging, IRC file transfers, try to hit other machines on the local LAN, and probably more. So a large variety of different methods of distribution is possible.
It also tried to disable or deactivate some popular brands of local virus scanning software.

Different OSs: However, one that could hit different OSs would be more difficult. (assuimg when we say different, we mean like UNIX, maybe an embedded OS in a car, and Windows.....and not just Windows 9X and WinNT) I'm hypothesizing that it would have to detect what OS of machine it was trying to infect, send only a certain module of itself to run, and the rest (which would contain copies of itself for different OSs) as inactivated data.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Universal remotes fit in to having the firmware, I would think, having an onboard list of codes/buttons/signal types....

My army roommates remote from hell, about 6 inches wide, 10 inches long, by 3 inches tall, but could be programmed for something like 100 devices....

For ease of writing the story have some kind of standardized OS, say some goofed up MS-Mac-Linux cross breed that some company created, detroying MS as this OS could operate all programs on a system without emulators.... This would add a happy point to the story....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think more of a "Smart Virus" or "AI Virus" would be the angle to work. The virus would have to be able to distinguish the target, choose the appropriate code to exploit the vulnerability, and then cloak itself. From there it would monitor the user input setting itself up for propogation to other machines and possibly accessing restricted or pword driven sites to rewrite pwords and whatever else you want the virus to do.

Typically most viruses have to be "Accepted" by the target for them to execute. So I would think you would have to come up with a story ploy to get by that.

Those are my ideas for your story.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps