Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » "Farscape"'s ending...

Author Topic: "Farscape"'s ending...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume spoiler warnings aren't necessary for a show that ended months ago, but those who haven't seen it all yet should tread carefully...

Anyway, I've been downloading and watching the entire series in order over the past few months, and I finally finished it up tonight. I have two questions:

1. Was the disintegration of Crichton and Aeryn always intended to be the cliffhanger ending of season 4, and it was too late to change it when the cancellation order came through? Or was it left in as an intentional act of defiance/denial? Or was it actually added in after the fact as said defiance/denial?

2. Has anyone from the show explained just how they intended to resolve the last scene of the show? I mean, if Crichton and Aeryn had been captured or lost in the ocean or something, I could understand. But they were reduced to kibble. That's a hell of a jigsaw puzzle to reassemble. That's what makes me wonder if that was always the intended ending of the season, or if it was invented after they knew of the cancellation.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the intended cliffhanger ending for the season. Some fans think that by leaving it in, Farscape was preserving its edginess; others (me included) think it would be better if they'd just cut out the last minute or so; everyone agrees that to leave the episode ending the way they did (despite doing a special "finally on Farscape" sequence) was either complete thoughtlessness or denial about the show being cancelled.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The producers have stated that they left the ending the way it was originally intended (right down to the 'to be continued...' caption) even though they had time to re-edit.

They didn't want to change anything simply because they had been cancelled. This is how season four ends, and the fact that there is no season five isn't going to change that.

I for one have no problem with that. After all the Scorpie sex scene is far more disturbing than Jon and Aeryn's apparant death. [Razz]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every once in a while, I still see reports that the producers are working on some sort of "Farscape" revival. I have no idea how close they are in reality, but it seems that they haven't completely given up on the show yet.

I did read a few statements from the creators a while back, one of which was really interesting -- that Crichton's voiceover for the Season 5 credits would've omitted the part about trying to find a way home. The idea being that he'd cut his ties to Earth now, and was building a new life out in the Uncharted Territories.

I have no idea exactly who or what those aliens were supposed to be... and yes, I do think that the series could've had a better ending if they'd cut the show early just before that attack. However, since the writers apparently haven't quite given up hope yet, I don't think it's completely uncalled for.

What would REALLY suck, though, would be if that cliffhanger turned into an "Omega 13" scenario... [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've literally only just seen the last Farscape episode on Sci-Fi and all I can say is...Bugger!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps