Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Barbossa's Fate ($$ Pirates of the Caribbean $$)

Author Topic: Barbossa's Fate ($$ Pirates of the Caribbean $$)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... in "Pirates of the Caribbean", that is.

$$$$ Spoilers, for above mentioned movie. Ye've been warned!&&&&

So the situation is this ... Barbossa pulls his musket on Elizabeth, and then is shot by Sparrow. Barbossa laughs, "Hah hah you carried that ugly pistol for ten years and you've wasted your shot."

Well, then Will Turner says "no he didn't" and drops two bloodied coins into the Aztec treasure chest, lifting the curse.

Barbossa looks down, realizes, "oh gosh I'm bleeding I feel so ... gold" and dies.

But, uh, wasn't Barbossa shot BEFORE the curse was lifted? Or was the curse lifted when Will slit his hand open and bled on the coins? Because I thought the coins had to be replaced to the chest with the blood for the curse to be lifted.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug*

It all depends on how the curse works. The pirates may just collect injuries as they go, and simply not die from them. When the curse was lifted, anyone with too bad an injury died. That would include having a big hole in your chest. For all we know, all the rest of the pirates died shortly after their surrender.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but if that was the case, Barbossa would also have been bleeding from where Elizabeth stabbed him.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm certain Barbossa said he felt cold, as in "bleeding to death".

About the wound, yes, the bullet probably made a hole his sinews hadn't knitted together again before the coins were dropped.

Though debating this point feels a bit moot when faced with the rest of the inconsistencies in this movie.
Why did Will Turner proclaim himself a pirate and abandon all his true ethical standpoints,
that pirates actually rape and kill innocent people and have forfeit their right to live?
Why did the governor and the commander of the armed forces let two armed criminals leave at will, just after they had gone on a bloody rampage in the town-square, putting soldiers and bystanders in danger? Because a teenage girl said so? (I think 10-12 of the soldiers kicked in face/groin would disagree)
Or, better yet, when the bimbo merrily declares "Will is not a blacksmith, he's a PIRATE!", why didn't Jonathan Pryce whip out a flintlock and shoot Turner in the ear, to save his daughter's life and the peace of the free world, when international law and a governor's duty to the british empire demands it?

Naturally, nobody gives a damn because Johnny Depp and Legolas omfg rulez!! ^__^

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I think Will's change of heart had less to do with helping pirates, and more to do with helping Sparrow, who did help him free Elizabeth. Will's honor demanded that he not let Sparrow to the gallows.

I think Norrington and Swann were both opposed to executing Sparrow at the end of the film. Swann says that Norrington was bound by law. I think he let Sparrow go (I mean, if you count tripping over a wall and falling off a cliff "go") because Norrington feels the least he owes Jack is a day's head start.

Why doesn't Swann shoot Turner at the end? Remember what he says to Norrington: "Perhaps an act of piracy, can be a virtue?" In other words, sometimes disobeying your orders and going against the law (in this case, Will's actions to free Sparrow from the brig and capture the Interceptor, as well as rescuing Sparrow from the gallows, in the by-and-by bringing down the crew of the Black Pearl, described as the last major pirate threat left in the Caribbean) is sometimes the correct course of action. Elizabeth's remark isn't "He's a rapist/plunderer/thief", more like "he's a rogue, mrowr!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparrow did have a record of sacking a port without firing a shot, so he seemed to avoid killing innocents when possible. Not a murderer and rapist, "just" a thief. [Smile]

Though the question reminds me of "The Princess Bride". Westley is Roberts, and has been for years. Roberts plunders anything he comes across, and never leaves survivors. So... exactly how many innocent people has our hero killed?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, y'remember when the two British Marines ("Dumbledee" and "Dumbledoo") are talking about the Black Pearl, and the one mentions that it never leaves anyone alive? Remember Jack's response? "If they never leave any survivors, how would anyone know it was the Black Pearl?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps