Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dawn

Author Topic: Dawn
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Buffy season V showed up today courtesy of the USPS and Amazon.com. So I watch the first two episodes.

Who the hell is Dawn?

Ok, she's Buffy's sister. I get that. From hints in the second episode, it seems like time has somehow been changed and no one is aware of it. What is going on here? Help!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you really want to be spoiled for all (and I mean all) of Season 5...

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

At some point in the past, Glorificus (aka Glory) was a really nasty diety in a particularly unpleasant demon dimension. She was cast out by the other evil dieties of this dimension and banished to our plane of existance. She was bound within a mortal, who grew up to become Ben. Glory is able to temporarily manifest herself, but due to the magic binding them together, nobody can retain the memory that Glory is Ben. Anyway, Glory doesn't like it here. She has to extract brain power from victims to maintain her sanity, so she wants to go home.

Enter the Key. The Key is (or was) a glowy ball of energy that would allow Glory to return to her dimension. Unfortunately, that entails destroying the barriers that seperate dimensions, which is not a good thing. These monks that found the Key first were about to get stomped on by Glory when they used its power to change reality. The Key is now in human form, aka Dawn. The monks knew that the Slayer (the best person to protect the Key) would defend her sister with her life. Everyone now believes she's been around all along.

Glory knows the monks sent the Key to the Slayer, but she doesn't know it's a person now.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. That storyline could have potential. Or it could be utter crap. Not having watched more than ten minutes of Buffy, I couldn't say either way. Either way, it's intriguing.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that Jeff has skipped that spoiler space and dove into the thread itself: Just wait until you find out what exactly Glory needs to do to the Key to get it to work. Anyway, the season is great, or at least the latter half, which is all I've seen. But, then, I like season six too, because yay doom and gloom! But as for the cohesiveness of the plot...well, it makes a bit more sense than the Initiative.

Seriously, though, it makes as much sense as "Buffy, you know your father loves spending time with you." Sure he does, Joyce. SURE HE DOES.

I should get back into blathering on about the show, since I'm on vacation. But I bought Firefly instead of season five. Which is super good. Super! And then maybe Angel.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have been more clear. I saw quite a bit of the Glory episodes - she needs to kill Dawn to get it to work, but Buffy can sacrifice herself ...

... but I didn't see the early season 5 episodes, so I didn't know how it was "explained" that Dawn existed. I didn't know if she was a long-lost sister or what, and it certainly seems to imply that Dawn is aware that she isn't a "real" part of the past timeline, although everyone believes she is. This seems surprising given her later reaction to learning she's the Key.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, in early season 5 episodes, it wasn't explained at all. She simply turned up at the end of the first episode, Buffy said "What the hell are you doing in here", and then both of them turned around and shouted "Mom!". Because, you see, we were suppossed to think that Buffy didn't know who Dawn was, but she did, and it is crazy and confusing.

And the whole "diary" episode, with "none of them know who I really am" is a red-herring. She's simply talking like any other self-important teenage girl.

Er, considering that you have the season on DVD, couldn't you have just watched it, rather than asking us to spoil it for you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I didn't realize it was explained so early on. Besides, I wanted to give you a Buffy thread so that you could discuss your favorite show. I was thinking of you, limey!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my favourite show?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps