Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate recap (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stargate recap
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... "As the Stargate Turns". Beautiful.

Stargate really does do a good job with stringing out storylines though. Things like bringing back the Beta Gate, or other plot points from a whole seasons ago almost never happened in Star Trek. DS9 was the best at it, but even they didn't do it alot.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to mention this earlier: Try the season-six episode "Disclosure" for a recap of the first 5.5 years of the show. It was a clip show where the US gov't decided to inform Britain, China, and France about the Stargate, and they pretty well summed up the whole series to that point.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Canadian government. According to the commentary track, the Canadian ambassador was consistently off getting coffee for the rest of the guys. [Wink]

mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L*

I was wondering about that, they referenced the Canadian government knowing about the gate in late S7.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S7 reply was an Atlantis giveaway, given that at that time they were planning a character named Dr. Benjamin Ingram of African-Canadian descent. The Canadian angle was supposedly to accent the more international (read: less US military) feel of the Atlantis team.

Of course, unable to find an appropriate actor for Ingram, they figured they really wanted a character like McKay, and so performed a character transplant when they found David Hewlett was available. Suddenly McKay was a Canadian (though in previous episdoes it was never established where he was from), and gained the character point that his genetic structure prevents him from interfacing with Ancient technology.

Mark

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I can understand Canada not being informed in Disclosure, but not Germany or Japan. In terms of "military capacity", those two are at least as bulky as France, so...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The five that were in "Disclosure" have two major things in common: they're the permanant members of the UN security council, and they're the legal nuclear powers. (I'm not exactly sure why the site I saw classified India and Pakistan as illegal ones, but...)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anything come of the other powers knowing about the Stargate? I saw "Disclosure" rerun on FOX, but haven't seen enough afterwards to know if there's been any fallout.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Not especially, though the continued Russian involvement in the SCG program is proof that international involvement isn't dead. The real consequence will be the Atlantis team, which is deliberately an international endeavour: McKay from Canada, etc.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Right, I remember they formed a Russian SG Unit. It was O'Niell's suggestion in order to keep them off of SG-1, IIRC. What unit number did they get?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

SG-4, I believe. The last time they were seen was in "Metamorphosis", where Nirrti killed Colonel Ivanov.

According to the MGM website:

SG-1 Exploration/ First Contact
SG-2 Exploration/ First Contact
SG-3 Marine Combat (Alpha)
SG-4 Exploration
SG-5 Marine Combat (Beta)
SG-6 Search and Rescue
SG-7 Scientific
SG-8 Medical
SG-9 Diplomatic
SG-10 UNKNOWN
SG-11 Engineering Corps
SG-12 Mineral Exploration
SG-13 UNKNOWN
SG-14 UNKNOWN
SG-15 UNKNOWN
SG-16 Combat
SG-17 UNKNOWN

Here's a more detailed breakdown from a fan site.

Mark

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, we can't inform France or Spain.

- France would immediately surrender to the System Lords
- Spain would promptly hold a referendum, electing a government friendly to the System Lords.

Canada is a different story. We just go and get the coffee...

Actually, the reason Canada is in this thing is that, secretly, Stargate Command is in Vancouver, BC.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Didn't you know that the "Cheyenne Mountain Complex" is just a front?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would explain why that Jeep with "SGT MACK" written on the windshield has been parked in the same spot outside the entrance for seven years.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wish they had brought in a Russian member for SG-1 during the, uh, Jackson interregnum.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps