Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Request: Wing Commander bitmaps?

Author Topic: Request: Wing Commander bitmaps?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this is the right forum for this...

Anyway, we all know that in Wing Commander I and II, they used bitmaps to show all the various ships since games had not yet developed into using 3D models. I was wondering if there was anyplace where I could get all of those original bitmaps used in the game? I've seen utilities that can extract them, but seeing as I don't have the games, it's no use to me.

My reason for wanting these is I was maybe going to try my hand at drawing up some decent 3-views of some of the ships.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
B.J.

(Oh, and if anyone thinks that this would be wrong, i.e. stealing artwork or whatever the term is, feel free to whomp me upside the head.)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wing Commander I and II are both abandonware now (which is legally a gray area, but with Origin's disbandment by Electronic Arts some time ago I don't think there are many violable copyrights left), so it shouldn't be too hard to track them down on the web. Failing that, a pretty good resource for WC material is the Wing Commander CIC, if you go politely about asking for it.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underdogs used to have Kilrathi Saga versions of WC1 and 2, not sure if they're still there or if the editors work on the files. The WC1 ship editor doesn't work with KS, I know that much. Of course, that'll depend a lot on whether you have broadband or are willing to spend lots of time downloading. [Smile]

It's a bit off-topic, but I'm currently working on a Wing Commander Armada clone. If you're interested, there's a thread over at the CIC forums under fan projects. Help would certainly be a Good Thing.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps