Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "Poisoning the Well" ($$$)

Author Topic: SGA "Poisoning the Well" ($$$)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, I really like the character of Dr. Beckett. When are they going to get him off the "guest star" list and add him to the permanent cast in the opening credits?

Sheppard named the Wraith "Steve". That just has a nice ring to it. Steve. LOL! [Big Grin]

At the end, Beckett quoted Churchill saying "Victory at any cost." (right?) And followed it saying "never thought I'd disagree." Clearly he doesn't think killing half the population to save the other half is worth it, but Sheppard made the point that the rest would be wiped out by the Wraith as retribution. I know we haven't seen every single one of their exploits through the gate, but what makes him so sure of this? I didn't think we knew the Wraith that well yet.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beard guy: "...they may simply leave us alone once they learn we are... unpalatable."
Sheppard: "'Cause they're such an easy-going, live-and-let-live kinda race."

The Wraith are your typical villains. They aren't complicated. They eat humans. If they can't eat them, they kill them. That's about the extent of them, and the Atlantis team seems to know it. After all, even though they haven't met a lot of Wraiths, they've had plenty of time to hear plenty of stories.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Steve" was brilliant.

And I'm forced to wonder why nobody notices that we really have no idea what the effect of the drug will be on the half of the population it DOESN'T kill. It may do nothing to the Wraith at all to feed on them.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: The actual title of the... work... quoted in your signature is "Where's God When I'm S-scared?". We have some of those videos at the library, and I've occasionally wondered if being S-scared has an intensity between being R-scared and being T-scared.

Seriously, people watch those things? People are awful.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a very good reason why Sheppard thinks that the Wraith will wipe out all the surviving people on that planet -- all you have to do is look at the second- and third-hand accounts of their previous attacks.

The Wraith not only attack to capture Humans to feed on them, but they also attack to destroy the civilization of their "herds". They view the Humans as animals, remember? They don't want their herds to become too advanced, because then the prey will be able to challenge the hunters.

When the Wraith find out that these people have developed enough scientific knowledge to not only defend against getting eaten, but also to kill the Wraith, they will come down on that planet like a ton of bricks and wipe out everything, just to prevent that knowledge from spreading.

This is more speculation from here on, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wraith would even end up destroying that planet even if the "vaccination" didn't kill the Wraith. After all, they would come to the obvious conclusion that the ability to make Humans "unpalatable" to the Wraith was a scientific development, and something that could be used all over the galaxy to prevent them from eating, anywhere.

The only reason that the Wraith left those kids alone in "Childhood's End" last week was because they were just one herd out of so many, and because the field that kept them from using their ships there was just a localized phenomenon. But a vaccination, even a purely defensive one, would be something that could be spread to all of the humans in the galaxy, thus wiping out the Wraith's entire food source.

I don't think they'd want that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, people watch those things?

*shrug*

They can be funny. I find my sig rather amusing, obviously. Also: "How much stuff do you need to be happy?" "I don't know. How much stuff is there?"

As for the title.... I don't care. But thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was probably the only one that noticed Chancellor Druhin was played by Alan Scarfe, the same guy who played Talmadge in Seven Days.

Then again, I'm the only one who watched Seven Days.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Scarfe also played a couple of characters on TNG, notably a Romulan admiral in "Data's Day".

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I recognized Alan Scarfe too... though the beard and the lack of pointed ears made it a little difficult. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll always be Mendak to me. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
I was probably the only one that noticed Chancellor Druhin was played by Alan Scarfe, the same guy who played Talmadge in Seven Days.

Then again, I'm the only one who watched Seven Days.

I was wondering where the hell I remembered him from. I totally forgot about Seven Days.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarfe's IMDB bio:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0769154/

He's been a character actor fixture of both Hollywood and Vancouver shows for quite some time.. In the genre, there are few franchises he's not been a part of.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps