Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "Underground" ($$$)

Author Topic: SGA "Underground" ($$$)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally saw the episode. Spoilers!

A very good episode IMO, introducing a new villain in the Genii - who will reportedly be returning soon. Good stuff with lots of exposition of the Pegasus galaxy:

-The Genii were once a major power in the galaxy, spanning many worlds. What they've got left is a big underground city that is seen from the surface as only an Amish-style farming community. Otherwise, their civilization is roughly on-par with Earth technology in the 1940s or 50s, save for nuclear weapons.

-The Genii pistols were originally made for the Van Damme "Timecop" movie, I think. I also think we've seen those tri-barrel rifles before. Better than the recent SG1 WWI-rifles-on-an-alien-planet, at least. [Smile]

-The Wraith have at least 21 hive ships in the "quadrant" of the galaxy that Atlantis is, with early estimates saying their fleet could be as many as 60.

-The Wraith are known to store their food like spiders for future feeding. Their computer systems include things like jump drives (USB pen drives) that contain vital information.

-The Atlantis team have now deployed up to three puddle jumpers at a time. Also, note that on the mission, McKay switched to the same grey uniform that everyone else wears, instead of his tan outfit.

-The Atlantis crew is running out of food, and until this episode were almost to the point of rationing. The Athosians have yet to cultivate, but they were still growing stuff on the mainland. McKay is wondering what happens when they run out of coffee - a good point. What's going to become the diet of the crew when the MREs run out?

[Yes, I'm warming up for the return of the Tech reviews next month. [Smile] ]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the sheer number of hive ships that made the Atlantis team decide the Genii's plan was a bad one - they couldn't hit enough ships at the same time.

The Wraith's "food" is also stored alive somehow.

So, is the Atlantis team going to make any decent allies in this galaxy? Anyone powerful enough to help so far they've pissed off.

I forget if we answered this already, but is the Pegasus galaxy a real galaxy? If so, where is it?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990122.html
http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/LG/peg_dw.html

The Pegasus dwarf Galaxy is a relatively small cluster (2000ly across - the Milky Way is 100,000ly across) that orbits around the Andromeda galaxy, about three million ly away. Kind of odd that Atlantis would be in such a relatively small and close galaxy, given that Dr. Jackson said that Atlantis could be farther away than anyone has ever travelled... But it is not established as THE Pegasus galaxy in the show.

It could also be considered one of the galaxies visible in the constellation Pegasus. There is a term "Pegasus Galaxy Cluster", which seems more appropriate (as well as being MUCH further away).

http://www.dibonsmith.com/peg_con.htm
http://www.visualdeepsky.org/netastrocatalog-announce/msg00243.html

Better named than the "Delphic Expanse", anyway...

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is that?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at 2000ly across, it makes more sense for them to refer to an entire quadrant. It would be far smaller than a quadrant of our own galaxy.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to guess what they would mean by referring to a "quadrant" of a sphere.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if that's in response to me, but I was wondering why "Pegasus Galaxy" is somehow a better name than "Delphic Expanse." (Drugged out priestesses talking to snakes are, after all, cooler than dopey winged horses on the cover of the Trapper Keeper that weird girl who sits next to you in third period has.)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Personal preference. Sounds cooler to me. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(Good thing they didn't name it the Liger Galaxy.)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trapper Keeper!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't be reading this thread but... My personal preference - Delphic Expanse sounds quite ok to me. I mean it probably better than 'the Badlands'.

Galornden Core was always an interesting place name.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps