Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Covenant" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SG1 "Covenant" ($$$)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took me a while to get to this, and since Aban did Atlantis already...

This was originally supposed to air before "Affinity", so that's why we don't see Sam with a ring, and why Daniel knew the name of the Trust in that episode.

So this time we've got a Richard Branson type character who owns a lot of the companies the Air Force contracts with, and manages to put 2 and 2 together. He thinks the world should know the truth, no matter what it is.

Sam seems to know Colson very well, but I can't for the life of me think of why. IMDB didn't help since they only list this episode as Shaughnessy's only SG1 stint.

We get to see the new Alpha site, which has an extremely fortified base inside a mountain, plus a hangar with an F-302. (Can anyone tell me when the previous Alpha site was destroyed?) Do you suppose they planted an iris on this gate as well? And how did they get the F-302 there? I'm assuming they transported it and lots of materials there with the Prometheus, since they also had some other large items like a couple of trucks parked outside. Did they ever get the F-302's hyperdrive working correctly?

We knew the ex-rogue NID agents were still around, but apparently some of the behind-the-scenes businessmen got away as well, all now part of the Trust. The rogues say they want to protect Earth, and the businessmen want to control the alien tech.

I thought the scene where Jack is talking with Thor in his office just before going to visit the President was strangely funny. Daniel was sitting there working, next to an alien, and Jack and the alien suddenly beam out, and Daniel just keeps working along like this is completely normal!

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen this one yet. Patience, Mark...

-The last Alpha Site, which was NOT the first BTW, was destroyed in "Death Knell" last year. There is also a Beta Site.

-They disassembled and transported the X-302 prototype through the gate last year too.

Anyone know where caps might be found of the new Alpha Site? I'm interested in what it looks like. Is it a USAF installation, or another retrofitted alien base?

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past season seems to be based inside the SGC lately. Just as I get used to them going off in space to fight the replicators and Goa'uld, I don't recall seeing SG-1 suit up and go on a lot of off-world missions. Or is it just my imagination?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

I did? Is there another Aban here? I don't even get cable [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sam seems to know Colson very well, but I can't for the life of me think of why."

O'Neill: "We know who he is. Some of us better than others."
Carter: "We worked together briefly, sir. Colson Aviation developed the multi-engine control systems for the F-302s."

So, they essentially just threw in a quick line to show that Colson and Carter knew each other. Thus, they didn't have to treat him like a complete stranger. A character device, basically.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know where caps might be found of the new Alpha Site? I'm interested in what it looks like. Is it a USAF installation, or another retrofitted alien base?

It looked like a scaled down SGC, down to having the same doors.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey, here's some genetic material. It has nothing in common with anything anyone has seen before, but, uh, don't worry about that."

Unless there is a story about how the Asgard are from Earth too. (Boy the origin of the Ancients bugs me.)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

I did? Is there another Aban here? I don't even get cable [Smile]
[Embarrassed]
Oops! Sorry Mark and Aban!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally saw "Covenant".

I think the neatest new bit of information is the new Alpha Site, which reminds me a lot of the base on Hoth for some reason. [Razz] Anyway, all we see is the Gateroom, a connecting corridor, and a room beyond containing at least three F-302s. Almost all of this was cobbled together from existing sets and props.

-The "field" gate prop was used, albeit in a humanmade base instead of the stone things we tend to see - the gate was likely brought into this site. Which raises the question: how'd they get it in there? I doubt they would have a silo there like the Cheyenne facility.

-No DHD is visible , though we don't see too much of the gate room besides the wall the gate is placed in front of. However, a bunch of the blinky computer racks are against one wall. Do they use a computer system to make this gate work, too?

-Okay, so they've got some 302s here... But what would their purpose be? Defensive only? They don't have working hyperdrives anymore without naquadriah, and though they're useful against gliders and Al'kesh bombers, Ha'taks are still untouchable. Delaying actions until the evacuation of the base?

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Which raises the question: how'd they get it in there? I doubt they would have a silo there like the Cheyenne facility."

Well, if you're digging yourself an intra-mountain base with the express purpose of putting the gate inside it, don't you think you would be sure to make a hole big enough to fit it through?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote yes.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so they've got some 302s here... But what would their purpose be?

Well, one, I'm not so sure that Ha'taks are untouchable, I thought we'd had references to missiles capable of penetrating their shields. It also occurs to me that the Alpha site would be a good place for training F-302 pilots. Doing that on Earth might draw unwanted attention.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

The Ha'taks *aren't* untouchable. They proved that in the season 7 premiere episode "Fallen", where Jack and Sam pilot the F-302 through the shields of Anubis' ship (okay, it wasn't a Ha'tak, but the point stands) via an instantaneous hyperspace jump. Once inside the shields, you just have to pound away at it.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

True.. But then, do they have enough fighters to make it worthwhile? The Ha'taks may not have CIWS turrets like Anubis' ship did, but would the fighters also have enough room to maneuver?

And training? Makes sense...

Mark

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actual CIWS or just something that looked like them?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps