Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » RTOK SE finally nailed down for 12-14-04

Author Topic: RTOK SE finally nailed down for 12-14-04
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's all the bells and whistles as well as info on the "Platinum edition" of all three SE in one box.
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=4927

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The release date's been out for a while. It's the same day as my 23rd birthday. Anyway I've been waiting for the special edition to come out. I never bought the regular version of any of the LOTR movies because I knew the special edition would come out later.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...there was some debate as to the date being pushed back: some ads were recalled as "premature".
Or something.

I hope I can buy the SE without that silly sculpture like I did my other versions.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Drool.

I knew it was coming, but now I'm all excited again.

From what that article says, yes, you'll be able to buy the SE without the statue just like the first two movies.

I've also never gotten the theatrical releases. In fact, I've not even seen RotK since I saw it in the theater because I want to wait for the SE with the cut scenes. I'm really hoping that Saruman makes it back into this film. I thought his absense in the theatrical release was very noticeable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Saruman does indeed make it into the film: just no "scouring of the Shire" part though.
Look to the screenshots and you'll see what appears to be Aragorn holding saruman's crystal ball thingie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that picture, but they found Saruman's Palantir in the theatrical release, as well.

Whatever. I know where December's entertainment budget is going.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - so what DO these fifty extra minutes actually contain?

I made a deal with my friends - as the lesser LOTR fan, I'd be the one to buy the theatrical versions, which I don't mind; everyone else would get the fuller versions. Still, with this article touting the release of the inevitable three-in-one box set, I may break my deal. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I know there's a scene with the Mouth Of Sauron, as shown in one of the screencaps. From what I've heard, it plays out very much like the book. The Mouth rides out, blusters a little bit, turns around and rides back behind the Black Gate. Then all hell breaks loose.

It's been *so* long since I read the books, I really don't remember much, but I'm guessing the added scenes are more wrap up stuff at the end, extended battle scenes, things with Saruman and Greema...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answering my own question...

Okay... So this "Mouth" guy *isn't* Sauron, just a projection of him - like that big eye? In that case, is it really Sauron that's killed at the beginning if the first film? It's the same armor, no?

Mark

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Sauron is mostly non-corporeal, I believe. He was human, but his physical body was destroyed in the ruin of Numenor freaking ages ago. The nature of the body the ring was removed from isn't explained, I don't think. Pretty sure the Mouth was human, though.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Mouth of Sauron" would, in today's terminology, probably be better dubbed "the Spokesperson of Sauron". Just a guy sent out to deliver his master's message. Not some sort of Sauronian Metatron or anything.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Again answering my own questions:

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/faq/sauronshape.html

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/mouthofsauron.html

Useful site, this.

Mark

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega exclaimed:
quote:
Well, Sauron is mostly non-corporeal, I believe. He was human, but his physical body was destroyed in the ruin of Numenor freaking ages ago.
No, no, no. Sauron was together with all the other Ainur (lesser angels) and Valar (chief angels) before the earth (Arda) was even formed.
When anyone of these beings descended into Arda, they became intertwined with its fate, bound to it until the world's end and rebuilding.
Sauron got his first body when entering into Arda together with Melkor, with intent to dominate.

Now, as to corporeal and non-, the Valar can choose to go "unclad" at times, their relationship to their bodies being the same as ours to clothes.
The 15th, expelled Valar, Melkor, cannot, since he poured much of his essence into the planet in order to dominate it, like Sauron did with the Ring. This made them both very corporeal, weak and vulnerable.
Sauron, Gandalf and Saruman are all immortal Ainur, not humans, but that doesn't mean they can turn into ghosts whenever they choose, they lost that ability as they entered into Arda.

Sauron could shapeshift in the lifetime of his very first body (during the first and second ages), but every time an Ainur loses his form, his "spirit" gets very weakened.
In the fall of Numenor Sauron's body was destroyed by the cataclysm, but he had either left The Ring in Mordor before entering Numenor or he had the Ring on him and it saved him, because he returned to Mordor after that and started rebuilding the body he was to have during the rest of the Second Age. Because he now had lost a considerable portion of the power his spirit held, he couldn't or wouldn't take a "fair form" again, like when he charmed his way into the midst of the elves before building the rings.

When Saruman died in the book (the real way), his spirit was too twisted, egotistical and faithless to rebuild again, and was dispersed by the Valar into near-oblivion (the spirits of the Ainur cannot be totally destroyed as they are part of the Earth, but they can be ruined so much that their fixation to return to life consumes their power to actually do so, like a stalling airplane.

In all the LOTR-books (and in The Hobbit), Sauron had a body, though he was weak without the ring.
The flaming eyeball of the movies was a non-subtle way of representing his total evil, whereas the characters in the book who saw him through the Palantir (Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Saruman and Denethor) all saw him in his own, terrifying flesh.
Of course, one could still say that the "Eye" was a sort of radar dish for the real Sauron, who sat on his throne in the highest room of the tower of Barad-Dur, spying on the west through his own, conquered Palantir.

/Was this update helpful to you? Surf Yahoo and meet new exciting people!
http:// jesusmaryandjosefitssofreshicanttakeit/

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you get the Howard Shore DVD in the box as well? Or is that a DIFFERENT version again? I went down to Sydney to see the Lord of Rings symphony - it was unbelievably fantastic.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nim, you made all that shit up.
Weed-head. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps