Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SF Greats: John Brunner

Author Topic: SF Greats: John Brunner
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right! It's become clear to me over time that a lot of you don't read enough SF. I'm sure someone will dispute that, probably going on to announce they've read all the X-Files books. . .

So here's what I'm going to do: every so often I'm going to come along and hold forth about a certain book, series, author, short story, whatever - so long as it's literary SF. Maybe someone will be interested enough to go out and look it up and read it - if even one person does that, I'll have done something.

And so, I'm going to start with John Brunner (1934 - 1995). This British author was largely unknown and remained so at his death - even to me, I had only started reading him at the time. Far more tragically, all his books are put of print: I picked up a whole collection in a second-hand bookshop, one of my better purchases.

Mr. Brunner is chiefly remembered for four novels all of which dealt with specific issues in a near-future world - but a different vision of the future each time. These were:

Stand On Zanzibar (1969): The first of a loose trilogy of books dealing with specific problems that might affect a future world, SoZ tackled the subject of overpopulation (the title refers to the fact that if all the people of the world stood shoulder-to-shoulder they could fit on the island of Zanzibar) in a bizarre 'multimedia' style with little inserts of adverts and so forth to set the tone, while following a disparate group of people through their normal or not-so-normal lives.

The Jagged Orbit (1970): The fear of race warfare that struck some quarters in the late 60's is extrapolated to extremes in this novel, which features arms dealers exploiting the situation in order to sell "this year's model" of personal weapons to the public.

The Sheep Look Up (1972): The trilogy concludes with a world in which pollution has reached meltdown (the title comes from Milton's Lycidas). As with the two other books a pop-sociologist is on hand to explain it all, and is largely ignored.

The Shockwave Rider (1975): If you think William Gibson invented Cyberspace, think again. Data transfer becomes the subject where anyone can - literally - control the world if they know the right codes. A genius hacker sets out to breaks the US Government's policy of secrecy.

I'm not a big fantasy fan, but this is an exception:

The Traveller In Black (1971), expanded as The Compleat Traveller In Black (1987): In a chaotic universe, a lone black-clad traveller, with many names but a single nature, walks the roads of existence. He observes silently, only intervening to grant people's ill-advised wishes for good, or more often, ill.

If you ever have the opportunity, give one of his books a go. I heartily recommend them. In terms of what to read first, if you have the choice, go for Stand On Zanzibar or The Shockwave rider.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read "Shockwave Rider" back in 1982-----and still own that copy, that's how good it was. Some of the cultural and technical issues addressed then are still valid concerns today (I especially find Brunner's comments about organized crime controlling governments rather prophetic in light of recent events.)

[This message has been edited by Xentrick (edited July 11, 1999).]

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds interesting, I'd never heard of John Brunner until I read this topic. I looked him up on the Chapter's Bookstore website ( www.chapters.ca ) and found that many of his titles are now available in reprints (I'm sure other sites like Amazon would probably have them too). Stand at Zanzibar, The Sheep Look Up, and Shockwave Rider all appear to be available for purchase online, so these titles are still around. I for one will probably go out and read one.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrote down name and titles. I like to look through yard sales for books, never know what you are going to find.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm delighted to hear that reprints are available. . . Chimmychops, get 'em if you can afford them. 8)

Another tale that seems bizarrely ahead of its time: John Jakes' "Sellers Of The Dream," a short story from 1966. The onky other stuff I've seen written by Jakes (if it's the same guy) are Civil War potboilers, yet this covers high-tech industrial espionage and body-modification according to the dictates of fashion in a way you wouldn't see again until the rise of Cyberpunk.

yeswab
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new here, but I completely agree. I've agreed since seeing Star Wars episode "4" in 1977. There's not enough awareness out there of science fiction BOOKS. And where else are you going to find the best writing, other than in books? (At least find it reliably?)

Heck, I'd be happy if more people were reading Gibson and Sterling, but there's so much red-hot great old stuff out there by the semi-obscure greats of the 50s, 60s and 70s. Laumer, S.R. Delaney, Brunner, not to mention the really classy guys today like Benford, Baxter and Bear.

Yes, folks; turn off the TV and read a BOOK.

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta be fucking kidding me! Six years, and one ID-change later, and someone resurrects my thread? On the plus note, there's some Brunner back in print these days, which is nice.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told Charles to leave "New members must make their first post in an old, dead thread" out of the new User Agreement.

Seriously, that's a fucking record for digging up an old thread.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Xentrick.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss, er, Jordan. Yes, that'll do.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are Dwight Yorke and I claim my �5.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't make me, er, sleep with you.

No, not that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

I know, I know, you keep saying, you're saving yourself for Charles. . .

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what Camilla said...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps