Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Christopher Reeve has died. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christopher Reeve has died.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/11/obit.reeve.ap/index.html

Truly sad: his outspoken efforts on behalf of stem cell and spinal cord research were inspirational and his performance as Superman made me want to fly as a child.

He'll be missed.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit horsing around... are you serious?
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's serious.

Goddamit, why'd this have to happen? I mean, he made some progress last year with some movement...not a whole lot, but it was prgress. [Frown]

--------------------
Meh

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard this on the radio this morning on the way to work. What a bite.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sucks is that it resulted basically from a bed sore infection. I forget the specific terms they used, but that was the gist of it.

B.J.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, that is a pretty shitty way for Superman to go out.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more inclined to believe that someone put kryptonite in his IV...

But yeah, that's really too bad. [Frown]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great man gone to soon. I'd really hoped that a treatment might come in time for him to walk again. It would have been a huge victory for others.

He lasted 10 years after an accident that could easily have killed him though and despite the magnitude of his injury continued to live life.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shock*

I was hoping that he would be able to make a miracle comeback somehow.....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sad.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How very sad. He will be missed. [Frown]

I can't believe that it's been 9 years since his accident! [Eek!] He's far stronger that I think that I could have been in such a situation (I would have given up the will to live long ago) - he was a strong and brave man - his passing is a huge loss to us all. [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's to hoping someone will pick up the torch in Reeve's memory and carry it across the finish line, soon. I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with an injury like his for ten years, but for all that energy he expended helping people with paralysis and pushing research forward to a point where severed spinal nerves can be partially attached again to have been for nothing, would be truly tragic.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ironic thing about this whole thing is when I went to the Navy Exchange today I saw an issue of Reader's Digest on the rack at the checkout lane with Reeve on it talking about being hopeful for the future.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Heard this on the radio this morning on the way to work. What a bite.

Yeah, me too (yesterday morning on my way to work, that is). It's sad that, despite the amazing progresses he had made, he'd die before having managed to make a better recovery. I heard it was a heart atttack or something? If so, that's the problem with a condition like his, the muscles grow weak from not enough exercise...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had a systemic infection from a from a "pressure wound" (bed sore) that led to coma and eventually heart failure. Bacteria is a bitch...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps