Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "Sanctuary" (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SGA "Sanctuary" (Spoilers)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops - I just saw the word 'threads' - I'm about to watch - it so I'm not looking any further.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
In "Threads" when "Jim" said, "That device was originally used by the Ancients to create life in the Milky Way. Well, re-create it, after the whole plague thing."

Ahhh OK, now that puts the plague thing into perspective. BUT! It opens up more cans of goa'ulds.

Ancients are Millions of years old. The Chick from Frozen had been there Millions of years? She had that plague didn't she? BUT She was seen only 10,000 years ago in "Rising".

Does this mean that they lived long lives when corporeal? Did they 'recreate life' in the Milky Way (it only seems to be the Milky Way I think - I guess the Asgard didn't get the plague as they were in a different galaxy - and maybe the same with the Nox and the Furlings) only 10,000 years ago!?! That doesn't seem right.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Rising", the caption at the bottom of the screen says "Several Million Years Ago" as the jumper approaches Atlantis on Earth.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, that's my fault; I got confused as to the dates when the Ancients left Earth and when they abandoned the Pegasus Galaxy.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

So the city was several million years old, but the time-traveller Ancient - guy was worried about Atlantis lasting another 10,000 years??

OK, maybe he was concerned that it mightn't last all that time under water - or even after the wraith attack. ACTUALLY - why didn't the Wraith board/take/destroy Atlantis after the Ancients fled through the gate?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Ancient guy was concerned that it might not last that long without constant maintenance and upkeep and what not. And it could be that the Wraith didn't know the gate coordinates of Atlantis.

Or another thought could be that the gate was hardwired somehow to activate the shield whenever anyone dials in except for an incoming wormhole from Earth...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I mean just diving under the water to Atlantis - or bombarding it from space. The Wraith made it all the way to Atlantis 10,000 years ago.

Ahhh yes, I see what you mean - about the upkeep etc.

Why didn't they just take Atlantis back to Earth Or to some other planet?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
And it could be that the Wraith didn't know the gate coordinates of Atlantis.

I seriously doubt that. Aren't the gate coordinates supposed to be the location of the entire star system, not a specific gate? If the Wraith knew the physical location of the coordinates, they could almost certainly figure out the gate coordinates.

As I understand it, the only reason it's so easy for the less-advanced societies who first discover their gates to end up with so many unsuccessful connections is because they don't really understand the significance of the symbols, and don't have them mapped to the various coordinates/constellations/stars. Therefore, it's important for people like the SGC (or the Goa'uld, for that matter) to have a list of valid gate addresses in order to use the Stargate system.

But once you become a major starfaring race, you can map the galaxy and get the actual coordinates to go literally anywhere that has a gate.

Of course, it's eminently possible that the Wraith are like the Goa'uld, and are just using the Stargates without any understanding of how they really work. Although I've always gotten the impression that the Wraith are a bit more sophisticated than the Goa'uld, and developed most of their technology themselves (rather than just scavenging everything).

Another possibility is that the Wraith simply didn't have any interest in Atlantis, so long as it was abandoned and their enemies the Ancients were gone. Either that, or else Atlantis still has automated defenses that can shoot down any Wraith that try to enter the city (either through the Stargate or by air).
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Why didn't they just take Atlantis back to Earth Or to some other planet?

I've actually wondered that myself, too. I can only assume that by the time the Ancients had been beaten back to Atlantis, there was no possibility of fighting their way out of the galaxy to take the city with them. I assume that even if the Wraith didn't (or couldn't) invade the planet, they'd have it pretty well surrounded with hive ships that could blow it out of the sky if it tried to escape.

Of course, this all assumes that the Ancients truly were defeated by the Wraith. I'm starting to wonder if they really just decided to give up and leave instead...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that they didn't want to tip off the Wraith to the existene of Earth and all the life existing there. In "Rising", the Wraith interrogator didn't seem to know about the Milky Way.. It's probable that the Lanteans deliberately left the city behind in a gambit that the Wraith wouldn't then figure out that there's another galaxy out there to infest. They didn't have a sufficient FTL back then, but perhaps the Lanteans didn't want to gamble they'd want to develop it if they knew they had somewhere to go.

Gate symbology has changed over the course of the series. Where it USED to distinctly be a case of constellations delineating coordinates, it seems to have changed to simply being a code. It's basically proven that the gate prop they've been using has never really changed, and only occasionally doe sthe DHD change. Here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/stargate-device

http://rdanderson.com/stargate/glyphs/glyphs.htm

The thing is, if the gates are millions of years old then there's no way they would hvae matching constellations due to stellar drift, nor would the symbols be identical from gate to gate as they are not refuted to be. Every once in a while they have some different symbols, but rarely so. In the SG1 universe, the symbols matching to constellations thing is probably a simple coincidence that Daniel used accidentally to determine how the stargate works.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never quite figured out why they needed him in the first place. I mean.... come on, you have six symbols, you want the seventh, there are only 39 possibilities. The movie was a high-concept thing that wasn't well thought through in some ways.

About the Ancients being defeated, I also have to wonder exactly how they could lose to ANYONE. They can rewrite all life in a galaxy, how can they not just wipe out the Wraith in their entirity from the safety of their city? There has to be more to it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie, they didn't KNOW there were seven symbols. On the cartouche they found, the seventh symbol wasn't part of the address proper. For whatever reason, no one thought to dial one more symbol afterwards.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that that whole constellations-forming-a-cube thing ever made even the slightest bit of sense to begin with...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps