Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG: "You Can't Go Home Again"

Author Topic: BG: "You Can't Go Home Again"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, apparently you can.

I searched but there doesn't seem to be a thread about this episode, so, I made this one. Cylons are cyborgs! Or at least their ships are. Their ships and then the ones like Boomer that are explicitly cyborgs. (They've got robot brains! I think! Certainly they are not human standard issue brains, anyway!) I question whether Starbuck could not only figure out how to fly one, but how to fly it as well as a regular ship, in just a few hours. I mean, she was what, squeezing nerve endings to get the reactions she wanted? That seems kind of imprecise. Meanwhile on Caprica, some stuff happens that doesn't really go anywhere. Gunfire!

(I really like this show.)

(This show, and shouting!)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, even at that point in the series, I think, it's been established that there's no easy way to tell the difference between a human and an anthropoid Cylon. Surely, if they had artificial computers in their skulls, that would be detectable. Or, at least, someone would have noticed it in the dead guy they've still got from the miniseries.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humaniform Cylons go nuts and then die in that nebula while humans do not. Also, when Baltar is talking about the "synthetic molecules" they're made out of, and I recall, though I wouldn't put money on it, that at some point during the conversation someone calls out neural tissue specifically. Now, he is, you know, lying and possibly crazy, but this was based on their autopsy of a Cylon, and not speculation on how to detect one prior to death, so I didn't think it was a fabrication on his part.

Anyway, I don't mean that they have Celerons up there or something, but I got the impression that of all the unusual things about them, their brains were the unusualest.

I'm unclear on what happens when they die, while we're on the subject. Six says they upload their memories into the Cylon network so that they can be downloaded into the next copy. (Or perhaps transfer them directly to their copy, but the exact mechanics don't really matter at the moment.) So presumably they've got a wireless modem tucked away somewhere. I wonder what the range is? Or if there isn't some (nonlethal) way of pinging it and thus revealing the Cylon?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the range appears to be limited. Every time they catch a Cylon and threaten to kill it, it tells them how it can just transport its mind away. Then they tell it how they don't believe it because it's probably out of range. And it always starts to look scared at that point.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps