Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Technological innovations in Sci-Fi? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Technological innovations in Sci-Fi?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if one chooses a thing from Dune, one wouldn't put down the year 12334 but 1965, the date of publishing, as conception. Otherwise Star Wars would be a mite hard.

Who was the first author to come up with energy shields? Off the top of my head I'd say "War of the Worlds" had the oldest ships with tank-repelling shields.

I'm mentioning it because that is an invention we've almost managed to build now, a tank with a plus-pole in the front and a minus in the back, charged with so much electric energy inbetween that an incoming RPG-7 rocket explodes without detonating its shaped charge through the hull.

SWEDE
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like Nim' suggests I�d be more interested in when the invention was mentioned in fiction in the first place rather than the time lag between concept and realization of it. Inventions that are yet to be realized shouldn�t be excluded from such a list.

da Swede

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alfred Bester wrote a minor background character named DR @tkins who gets a page from his "electronic mailbox".

It's just a one-liner at a party (in the book) but it's pretty far-thinking considering the book was written in the 1950's.

I think that while the cell-phone was a logical progression, the flip-phone owes a bit to TOS.

Man, I'd buy a nice TOS-style cell phone.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Jules Verne once describe something akin to a fax machine?

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know: he had a bitchin' submarine and a very Hunley-esque torpedo/harpoon thing in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

That book alone probably inspired generations of sub-designers, if that counts.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps