Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Who Knew? Who New! [Doctor Who Series 2 Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Who Knew? Who New! [Doctor Who Series 2 Spoilers]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas specials have long been a staple of the seasonal TV schedules, especially on the BBC and especially comedies. There are the occasional one-off TV films for drama series, but not usually Christmas ones (and they often suck) - Cracker and Spender are two that come to mind.

A comedy show doesn't seem to be classed as a proper success until it's been worthy of a Christmas special! The Blackadder Christmas Carol was shown in December 1988 (on the same night as the Lockerbie bombing, I always remember that night), while Blackadder Goes Forth was on TV the next year.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? The back of my video box says 1991. It lies! (Although I guess that explains why there is no Goes Forth stuff on it.)

In the early days of Doctor Who they threw in a Christmas episode in the midst of an Exciting Adventure With The Daleks (TM), called "The Feast Of Stephen". Most famous for extreme amounts of sillyness culminating in Hartnell turning to the camera at the end and wishing all of us at home a very merry christmas. The drunk fool.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, definitely 1988. Where my memory falls down is on the Blackadder-executes-Charles-I sketch fom the first Comic Relief Night. I always thought that was in 1989 - yet I clearly remember the Cavalier Years sketch coming before Christmas Carol. Guess there was a Comic Relief Night in early 1988 which I don't remember. . .

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that in 'battlefield' they were going to kill of Lethbridge-Stewart. He was gonna go out in the final explosion, but instead, he gets up, wipes off the dust and goes home to his garden, wife and a nice cup of tea.

I got the oppinion all the UNIT members were killed off in aliens of london, but then again, they may not have been the whole of unit. But given the new formant, I don't think that there is roon for UNIT in one 45min episode.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was certainly a fair chunk of UNIT's higher ups, but not ALL the branches (don't remember a Czech uniform there, etc.).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if the higher-ups were killed, there was still an entire UNIT army out there. Promotions for everyone!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No- they were all rolled up into the UN's SHIELD organization.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Or S.H.A.D.O perhaps.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is as good as any a place to put this, I suppose, so I toss it out like one of those plates affixed to the side of Pioneer 10, in the hopes of communicating with a culture wholly alien (and not a little freaky) to me.

Uh, which is to say I have never watched this show in any incarnation, but if I wanted to read a bunch of novelizations I could for free, thanks to nu-media savvy BBC employees. Doctor Who books for the taking.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Really? The back of my video box says 1991. It lies!

The date is probably the copyright date of the video production, not of the actual show.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps