Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Name the Anime...

Author Topic: Name the Anime...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a wee lad my parents rented a movie for me and my brother when we were down with the flu or something. I would really like to get ahold of this movie again and show it to my brother as a surprise, it would drop his jaw to the earth's lower crust.

The movie is set in contemporary times, the opening credits have a brown-haired guy, circa 30 years old, driving a red sportscar (Jaguar?) very fast. He reaches town, I think, whereupon he sees some sort of hubbub which I think is a large new bank or something being uncovered to the cheering masses of the town.

The bank is a gigantic pyramid in armored glass, semifilled with people. The mayor or whoever displays the strength of the building by having two guys shoot pistols at it, to no effect.

Then suddenly a truck pulls up on the street with a big, blanketed cargo on the trailer. The tarpaulin is ripped off, presenting a large, black-green tank, turning its turret towards the building.

It fires, killing all the men and women in the pyramid, destroying it completetly. Me and my brother were very sad.

Then for some reason the young guy from the beginning goes to some police unit which issues him 3 or 4 bigass mecha androids and a female secretary to catch the tank, which seems to be not driven by anyone, just some smart hardwired A.I.
Rather ahead of its time, this movie was.

There's a large green robot, a slim red robot looking somewhat like IG-88 from Star Wars phame, there's also a token Big Guy with a pea-brain that helps the guy and the girl. He grunts and falls over many times, which delighted me and bro.

Um, then they chase the tank for an hour.

Any thoughts? Refreshments? Otter noses?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And your sure this is anime? Time frame of when you saw it will help immensly. some details on the quaility of the animation will help, too. What it a TV episode? a OVA? Movie?

were there idol singers in it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The anime you're looking (to avoid) is "Techno Police":

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4503

I rented this once too a million years ago - barely finished it. The dub was atrocious, and there WAS NO PLOT. Remember the point towards the end where the tank and the TP car chasing it were in an extended instrumental ballet number? Also, how the big blue bot got around on rollerskates, and was crying at one point because he got lost? [Smile]

Anime nut that I am, there are plenty of titles out there that really shouldn't have crossed over. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was from 1982. You've got to cut it a little slack because of that.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
You dont.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and there WAS NO PLOT"

Unlike the vast majority of intricately plotted anime?

(I kid because I love!)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) didn't suffer from a lack of a clear plot. Then again Cowboy Beepob I could have done without.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I like Cowboy Bebop. I wish Adult Swim would give InuYasha a rest, though. It's all right, but I don't see why it gets more slots on the schedule than Family Guy or Futurama (which I think are overplayed by now).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mark. I'll confess that the main reason for eventually getting it wouldn't be for quality or it being unique but nostalgia, but maybe some schmuck has put it up on p2p, I hope so.

And it was a Lotus 7 and not a Jaguar that Ken drove, I discovered by googling.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure am glad the excesses of Japanese cultural expressionism have so far not spilled over to the part of the world occupied by me that is not Canada.

(I do not kid because I do not love.)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird. This descriptiion really makes me think of a cartoon film I saw about 25 years ago, and have only a vague recollection of even now. It did seem very reminiscent of anim�, allthough we didn't know it at the time (any more than we knew Battle of the Planets was nicked from Japan). There was a masked baddie, who drove around in some sort of giant tank or land-train, terrorising the countryside, and there was a aquare-jawed hero who thwarted him. At the end you see the hero visiting the Whiter House (or something similar) while a stentorian voiceover intoned about being swept away on wings of eagles - or something like that. The reason I remember that fact was that all the other kids left as it was ending (this was at school, near the end of term, and we were all allowed to watch extra TV) and someone sitting in front of me remarked to his neighbour "Looks like they're all being swept away on wings of eagles too!" It's a bizarre little fragment of childood memory that I can never seem to lose. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
As the aquarium-jawed hero entered the Whiter House (no spics), he discovered that everyone in the parlors were drunk as skunks, apparently taking after the brand new british custom of 'Half Past Six Ale Siesta'. No one could be happier than Fishbowl-Chin Hero, whose throat felt dry as a desert. "Death to the Enter-Button!" he bawled menacingly.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps