Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "The Long Game": $Spoilers$

Author Topic: DW: "The Long Game": $Spoilers$
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or "Click!, or how I went to the future and added air conditioning to my brain."

Good episode, moral: don't give anyone your phone and door key!

Quick review: Doc, Rose and friend got to year 200,000 hight of 4 earth empire. Earth very occupied, millions of worlds, earth in middle not top.
Media manipulation, hiding fact that everything being run by Simon Pegg and his rather large boss.
Rose's friend gets new HID, with unfortunate default activation problem (always read the manual).
Much hillarity and death ensues.

Plus face of P.. is 5 million or so years younger and pregnant!
Also suggest buying shares in Cat-5 cable, looks like it will still be in use in quarter of a million years time (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Discuss!

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understood.... MOST of that post.

And UTP has probably probably Cat-4,000 by then. 10-uberbit connections.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Face of BOH, not P. Either it's long-lived, or a title like Queen of France.

I also did not understand much of the first post. Suffice it to say though that this was still an enjoyable episode, and demonstrated that not everyone who steps on board the TARDIS is a perfect travelling companion - they don't stay long. Adam may still be able to benefit: aircon head aside, he knows that single molecule transfer technology will arrive in 2019, enough time for him to get on board.

My question is - how does the phone know WHEN to dial? Does it chronologically lock with the user's home time frame somehow? Adam is from 2012, and the phone calls he made were to basically right after he stepped into the TARDIS at the end of "Dalek".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, a little too British, maybe more punctuation needed.
Simon Pegg is rather famous here, appearing in the cult classic series "Spaced", and in the excellent film "Shawn of the Dead"

Having a telepathic time destination control on the phone would have an advantage, or, the TARDIS connects the phone to the user's original time/space location's phone network. What would be cool would be the TARDIS communicates though the earlier version of itself at those co-ordinates.

Turlough was a bit dodgy as I recall...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Punctuation wasn't your problem. You left out half the words.

Turlough was a bit dodgy, yeah, but the fifth Doctor wasn't really the sort of person to kick a companion out like that.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if the Doctor knew that the real Fourth Great and Bountiful Empire looked like, when did that happen? Are ther alternative timelines in the Doctor Who universe? And if so, why does the Doctor want to fix a timeline, if there are so many timelines?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I see it that the FG&BHE was supposed to be far MORE G&B than what they observed. It was probably remembered as being *so* G&B that the Doctor figured something was wrong when they landed in a rather run-down looking station. Putting two and two together, the Doc probably figured that if the giant maggot continued to have its way, the FG&BHE wouldn't be remembered for its high levels of G&B. Ergo something was wrong, ergo it's time to fix it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jagrafress' Reign of Not-Exactly-Terror only lasted 91 years. The Fourth Empire may have lasted centuries. The Doctor may have known its general history, but it doesn't mean he knows every event. Maybe he'd just never visited anytime between the years 199 909 and 200 000 before.
Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bit disappointed with the Jagrafress. It looked very cool, but didn't seem to be able to defend itself at all. Other than that, a good episode.

The single-episode story format is beginning to bug me a little though. Everything is over too quickly. In a story like this it would have been cooler to build things up much more slowly before finding out what was really running the show. But that's modern TV for you I suppose.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops - posted twice! (see below. bloody broadband connection)

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of bad companions, who was that upper class british twit (looks in mirror...) that the Master tried to trick into killing Doctor No. 5? Any takers?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That was Turlough. As previously discussed.

And he wasn't actually British. He was an alien.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it wasn't the Master, it was The Black Guardian. He had a bird on his head, a subject of which I don't think anything more can be said.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps