Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Some speculation about River, and Reavers, and I guess Serenity spoilers. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some speculation about River, and Reavers, and I guess Serenity spoilers.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't be discussing anything not in the trailer, though. Well, maybe one thing, sort of, which isn't explicitly stated, which is that that scary zombie dude is apparently a Reaver (or maybe one of their victims), and that other Reavers are in the film as well.

So, OK. I loaned out my Firefly DVDs to a friend at work, and I've been thinking about episodes I particularly like. "Ariel," for instance. But even though I think the creepy blue-handed guys are cool, their actions bug me a little. Or a lot. Like, what's the point of their messy murder spree, other than to impress the viewer with how messily they murder? But I was willing to swallow it as another example of how organizations are always dumb and corrupt in a Joss Whedon show.

But maybe there was a reason they killed those police officers, beyond general nastiness and secret-keeping? It struck me as odd the emphasis they put on "did you speak with her?"

Consider: we're told that Reaverness is somehow mentally infectious. Well, OK. Lots of real people see incredibly horrible things without becoming ravenous killers themselves, but sure. But we know that some degree of freaky mental powers are real, in the 'verse. What if crazy Reaver syndrome is something you actually can catch?

Like, I'm thinking, since the movie seems to be about River and the Reavers in parallel, that the two plots might have something in common. Perhaps River is a potential vector for some bad psychic illness, and the cops were killed as part of a harsh quarantine program.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that were the case then surely Mal and his wacky friends would have gone all bread baskets long before now.
Ariel is defiantly my favourite ep and I always assumed that the reason the guards were killed was a precaution against River saying something that might compromise whatever they're up to.
As to the messyness, it can (officially) be put down as the actions of the fugitives during their escape.

As for the blue sun operatives themselves, anyone else get a not-quite-human vibe from them?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say River was a carrier, just that she has the potential to be such, in the scenerio. I'm just spinning out speculation here, but we do know that weird mental juju exists within the story, that the Reaver meme is contagious, and that she and they play some sizable role in the film. There might prove to be some connection between them, is all.

My problem with "kill whoever captures her" as a standard policy: If it was simply a matter of secrecy, why put out a public warrant? And, I mean, how long are the cops going to work for folks who intend to kill them if they're successful at their job?

Of course, again, taking into consideration how groups such as the Watchers' Council or the Initiative treated their employees, it's certainly possible that this particular group was meant to be suicidally incompetent too.

Also, this is a recurring theme in Whedon's stuff that sure bugs me.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we know for sure that the Reaver play a big role in the movie? I know one of them shows up on Serenity, which likely means that they encounter a Reaver ship at some point. So I know they're around, but are they going to be a *huge* part of the plot?

The viciousness of the Blue Hand's killing did have a real "sterilization" feel to it. It wasn't good enough to kill them, they had to do something awful to them to make sure nobody got anything from them... or something. Or maybe their method of killing left absolutely no traces and therefore could never be traced back to anyone. Other than the fact that there was probably some record of their arrival.

I had never thought about the Blue Hand's not being human since the show has pretty much said their are no aliens, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe the entire Blue Sun Corporation is an alien infiltration strategy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did say specifically in the show that there were no aliens. Of course, this was when they were at the Barnum-esque side show in one of the unaired episodes.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. The upside down cow fetus was supposed to be an alien. Shocking because "they've always told you we're alone," or something. So at least the general belief is that there is no non-earth-that-was-based life.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I also got that "not-quite-Human" vibe from the Blue Hand Group (as I like to call them), though I never really quantified it as them being possible aliens. The idea of some sort of alien infiltration sounds like an interesting potential storyline -- and would also (perhaps, in some weird way) also explain the Reavers.

Concerning the events of "Ariel", those two were obviously not concerned with just simple knowledge of River and Simon being fugitives. Even the people who captured them weren't necessarily an apparent danger -- until the BHG realized that the policemen had actually spoken to River. (Go figure.) Anyway, I figure that it's probably some sort of concern regarding specific knowledge that River might carry, or that she might (through her crazy ramblings) cause those who captured her to wonder just why the BHG were so interested in a crazy little girl.

At any rate, hopefully Serenity will explain at least most of this. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else to consider about the BHG: if they are just normal humans, how come the funky device thing doesn't affect them? They could be altered in some way or they just have a filter installed in their brains a la sunglasses from MIB.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the impression that the device was directional - they had to *point* it at their victims.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The first time they used the device (IIRC), the one guy just opened it and all the cops in the room started bleeding. The one he was pointing at first, but then everyone else too. Or did we just hear the screams from outside the door? You'd think if it only worked on one person at a time, someone else would try to tackle the guy once he realized what was going on.

I will from here on refer to "the device" as The Brain Melter. I think it sounds cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that! The Brain Melting Device has a great sound to it. It also describes what i felt they were trying to convey in the episode w/the folks screaming as the area around their eyes, ears and noses hemorrhage. Pretty horrifying.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Right. The upside down cow fetus was supposed to be an alien. Shocking because "they've always told you we're alone," or something. So at least the general belief is that there is no non-earth-that-was-based life.

Joss Whedon said early on that there won't be any alien life forms in the movie. I want to say he was specifically talking about sentient life forms, but don't recall the exact quote and am too damned lazy to do any reserach on the issue.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

IIRC, their fingernails were also bleeding. Though that could've just been spillover from their face that got on their hands as they... convulsed.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

No, that guy's fingertips were bleeding on their own. The victims were bleeding from every porous membrane. (Which is why I think we ought to nickname it, if nickname it we must, the Ebola Ray.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I had never thought about the Blue Hand's not being human since the show has pretty much said their are no aliens, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe the entire Blue Sun Corporation is an alien infiltration strategy.
Well they could be aliens (ala Dark City) but my thought was that they weren't quite human. As in they've evolved/mutated/engineered themselves to be something else, at least mentally. I suppose you could say it would be similar the the Guild Navigators from Dune, in that they think in strange directions (just without the zero-g adapted fishman bodies.)
If this is the case, it may shed some light on what they were doing to River. Perhaps they were "recruiting" her? It just so happens that she was smuggled out (they never did specify who did that) before they were through re-formating her mind, or whatever it was they were doing.

As for the Sonic Bleed'o'Matic weapon the bluehands were using, I got the distict impression that they were being pointed rather deliberatly. As for how all the guards in the room were effected, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure all the guards were infront of the device, which would mean it has a definate "dangerous end", possibly projecting a cone of...whatever it was that liquidated their insides.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Ebola Ray (I'd prefer that name, myself) was directional. Obviously we have no idea exactly how it works, but based on the sound effect, I'd guess that sound waves seemed to have at least something to do with it. Also, I seem to recall seeing someone working behind the Blue Hand Group at some console against the wall...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps