Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$War of the Worlds (Major Spoilers)$$$

Author Topic: $$$War of the Worlds (Major Spoilers)$$$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the movie and it was great. I liked the look of the tripods and they were pretty faithful to the book. I did notice no mention of Mars. I also did not like the "hitch a ride on lightening" trick nor the uber forcefield. I would have liked for the tripods to be destructible, but only after alot of shelling at the cost of large numbers of troops and vehicles.
The Tim Robbins character is alot like the soldier in the book who has abitions for an underground resistance, so that was good. Tom Cruise's kids were pains in the ass and should've gotten a nice smacking. Anyways the acting was great and you really got a good sense of the desparity of it all. It a keeper in my book.

BTW at some point shouldn't the army have tried to nuke the tripods. They never do but I thought this would have been a great time to try nukes. It might not have destroyed them, but desperate times call for desperate measures...

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you know that nukes never work against space invaders? We earthlings are so fucking weak!!! Tried it in the original movie version of WOTW and in Independence Day. I also think Spielberg wanted to avoid any comparison with Independence Day.

As for a Mars reference, I thought I remember ed that the opening prologue ends with a shot of a red disc of some kind?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of other examples, the nuclear weapon in the movie Stargate was somewhat of a draw.

On the other hand, John "Nuke'em" Sheridan has *four* separate successes using nuclear weapons against alien invaders (Black Star, Thirdspace, Whitestar, and Into The Fire) [Smile]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheridan is also one of the crappiest, most unbelievable bullshit chcaracters of all time...
And he has really hokey lines: "get out of our galaxy!" C'mon.

Here's my review from the other thread from the night it came out:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
$$$SPOILERS$$$$

Okay, I just saw it.

Er....It's visually stunning, the tripod WAr Machines look great but I dont think anyone involved with the movie read the book.

Biiig flaws:
-The aliens are not from Mars (at least no mention is ever made one way or another).
-The War Machines have been buried underground (somehow without ever being discovered) for millions of years.
Why? Who the fuck knows....no reason is ever given why the aliens would have come here, left their shit underground (somehow knowing they would need it long before humans were alive) or why they chose now to come back and start making trouble.
-The aliens arrive in a biig spooky cloud (sound familliar?), though their ship is never seen, it emits powerful electromagnetic pulses that knock all electronics (even cars) out- the cloud fires lightening strikes over and over exactly where their buried tripods are...
That's not so bad, but the aliens get to their deeply buried tripods via lightening.
No shit.
They have dart-shaped capsules (chock full of aliens) that shoot into the ground...on...a bolt of lightening. Yeah.
Metalica should have done the theme song.
-The tripods have force-fields that stop any projectiles/missiles before they can get close.
-The tripods use a fog-horn...just for kicks mainly.
-The aliens themselves are nothing like Wells described but instead look a LOT like the aliens from Independence day from the neck up-
their bodies are a torso, two arms and a central leg. They move kind of like monkeys.
They have no tenticles.
-The aliens do not use the Black Smoke chemical weapon and do not have any flying machines.
-The Heat Ray is not hot: somehow it turns the person in their clothes to dust but the clothes float away on the wind- what wind? Who knows, but it's an effect used over a dozen times- so many floating jeans, I thought Levis was a sponsor.
Each tripod has two heat rays that it fires from the hips- like a three legged gunslinger from space.
-The aliens drain people of their blood- aparantly to spray it all over the redweed as fertilizer or something- they are never shown ingesting it and the tripods spray it all over. Why? Who the fuck knows: in the book, the aliens ingest blood because they are just big brains and need fresh blood to live. At the end a tripod opens up and about 50 gallons of blood-looking stuff spills out-
Mabye they just had a big punch-bowl full of blood or something: I cant see these guys floating around in blood.
-Tom Cruise is SUPER-DIVORCED-DAD! Only Tom Cruise manages to destroy a tripod!
Goooooo Tom!
-You foreign types should be prepared for a visual assualt of american flags in Tom's all-american-blue-collar niighborhood. There's a "are we being attacked by terrorists" line from Tom's son.
-Tom's kids are so annoying, I wanted them dead for the entire movie- his daughter screams endlessly in the shrillest voice imagineable and his rebelling dickweed teenage son goes out of his way to get killed because he "needs to see this".
After all is said and done, Tom's family is re-united with NO INJURIES or personal loss at all- fuck, even the windows on his ex-wife's brownstone are spotlessly clean, although the rest of Boston is in smoking rubble.
Though it's several days later, the kid is still wearing the same clothers as before and although his family is spotessly clean, he's still a dirty mess.

It sounds like I'm bashing, but I'm only relating the major issues.

The GOOD things: Tom Cruise delivers a great performance and I think he did an amazing job with the script given to him.
Tim Robbins is very good as well (taking on the role of the Curate in the farmhouse- though he's a paramedic).
The acting is good throughout- Speilberg really pulls on the "hate" and "outrage" emotional strings but there is not much real suspense (at least not among the group I went with).
Again, visually it's incredible and the desctuction is on a grand scale. These aliens could teach Godzilla a thing or two.
Morgan Freeman narrates the very start and ending of the movie with (updated) exerpts from the book- a nice touch.
-They used the same "alien arm falling out of the war-machine" scene as the George Pal version (unfortunately followed by a closeup of a petrified-looking alien's face).

Overall, I'd give it a five out of ten.
Worth warching but not worth buying on DVD.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is them not being from Mars (or at least it not being mentioned) a "biiiig" mistake? From what I read, the reason it's not said is because we know that Mars is really, really unlikely to contain an entire civilisation that we've just never noticed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really a "biiig mistake" but I heaped all my gripes (big and small) into one category after they started really racking up.
It's definitely a flaw in my opinion.

For many (including myself), it's just not WOTW without the aliens being from Mars.
It's just another "alien invasion" movie with some of the trappings of wells' book.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason to think they're not from Mars. I mean, other than the fact that they couldn't be.

Pow!

But, I mean, in the movie, we don't know anything more than what Tom Cruise knows. There were rumors that tripods had been taken down, elsewhere. I noticed that, in the credits, there was a character named "Ill-Informed Man" and another named "Well-Informed Man," presumably from the scene where people are walking towards the ferry and trading rumors, so I guess if we knew which was saying what we might have some better idea of what was going on.

Anyway, I really, really liked this movie. A lot.

If I were to single out a problem, it would probably be one inherited from the novel, namely: the aliens are apparently more advanced than us in almost every way, but they haven't gotten a handle on germ theory?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

My major gripes is that they (A) still use machinees from a bazillion years ago and B) that they were here before and did not die then.

...and that only Tom Cruise (AKA Superdad)can defeat a War Machine!

I do think it's an excellent performance by Cruise though.
His acting skills have come alooong way in the past few years.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was all those thetans holding him back before.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye goofy psydo-religion is the key to better acting.....if so, there may be hope for even Katie Holmes.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Madonna. At her rate she'll be doing oscars next year.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to assume that "psydo" is some horrible mutated amalgam of "psycho" and "pseudo". It's the only way I'll be able to sleep at night.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If Scientology can be declared a religion by my country and given tax-exempt status, anything goes.

Rest easy, pallie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps