Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Avalon, Part I" [Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SG1 "Avalon, Part I" [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Placeholder for tonight's season premiere. We are BACK, baby! For the next ten weeks, it's an episode each of SG-1 and Atlantis every Friday!

We've got a lot to look forward to, with the introduction of the new villains, a wholesale switcharoo of the supporting cast, the addition of a new cast member, and the abscence of another for six episodes. Beards, swords, bombs, and more - all starting tonight!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No new villains are introduced.

Just saying.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, does the Atlantis wormhole effect showing up in the SG-1 titles mean that that's how all the wormholes are going to look this year?

(Also also, I was pretty underwhelmed, but since it seems like I am always being angry in these threads I will leave it at that. Part two could turn things around for me, though.)

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel's never going to get to Atlantis, is he?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make a great running joke, actually. IMO SG-1 seems treading dangerously close to "camp" territory, but to be honest, I don't think I have a problem with that, because of two things: first, the actors manage to pull it off with genuine humor (and good writing), and second, because it's still balanced out by a serious storyline and rich, not-entirely-arbitrary plot developments. Andromeda, this ain't. [Wink]

My favorite line? "I'm quite sure we haven't met before." -- Vala, to Mitchell. Nice touch there. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite line in the episode was when Vala remarked about Earth's gene pool as Mitchell and Jackson are standing next to each other. Afterall, wasn't the reason for the beard because the two actors look very similar?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize it was their first attempts to flesh out their characters, but I couldn't help but feel that the acting was very mechanical. Crowder appeared to me to be doing a gestalt of O'neall & Sheppard. The Landry character didn't come off well to me either. But, I will give it time.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"[B]rowder appeared to me to be doing a gestalt of O'neall & Sheppard."

I was thinking more like O'Neill/Crichton, myself. Mostly Crichton, really.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially the "WHOA! Bullets bounce!" bit. Very Cricthon-esque.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Browder - hmmm I haven't watched this episode yet but - hmmm - doesn't sound like he has much of an acting range. Chrichton-esque? If I wanted more Chrichton I'd watch Farscape.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa...an actor that acts like he...acts? Unheard of.

It's like saying, "When I saw Ben Browder on SG-1 I was thinking Farscape." Well of course you think Farscape cause that's what you associate him with.

Anyway, I don't know if Sci-Fi even airs repeats of Farscape anymore. Which is stupid. They air 10 year old episodes of X-Files but no Farscape.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's also been in some Australian things like The Man from Snowy River TV series.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing that he's reminiscent of Crichton, nor that it's his fault. I mean, the writing alone is partially responsible for that. I was just saying that it's true.

"If I wanted more Chrichton I'd watch Farscape."

The flaw in that plan is the fact that there isn't any more "Farscape".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, I've just watched it - he's not THAT bad - the only cringe worthy thing is... it looks as though he's been channeling a little TOO much of Richard Dean Anderson's Jack O'Neil.

Like TOO much. Hopefully he will develop into his own 'character' and not be a carbon-copy of O'Neil. Yes of course this is the writers mainly (unless Browder has been either a fan of the entire series or watched seasons 1-8 before filming.)

I was just thinking - sci-fi fans are a picky bunch - I mean look at ER - they've got ONE original cast member out of like 8 or 10 left and the show is still going strong.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(unless Browder has been either a fan of the entire series or watched seasons 1-8 before filming.)
He did. He got copies of the entire series and watched it all in one freaking long marathon. Apparently he now makes obscure references on the set with the best of 'em.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps