Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "The Siege, Part III" [Spoilers]

Author Topic: SGA "The Siege, Part III" [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Placeholder for tonight's season premiere. We are BACK, baby! For the next ten weeks, it's an episode each of SG-1 and Atlantis every Friday!

For the Atlantis sophmore season, the spinoff also gets a major change, losing an admittedly useless character and gaining a buffer one, who may or may not be as useless. Regular, but not so easy, contact is established with Earth, and we get a new starship in the mix, with its very own alien navigator.

We were left in a fair pickle with last year's cliffhanger, with Ford being captured, various other characters unconscious or dead, and Shep flying a nuke into the maw of a Wraith hive ship. The fun part of all this is that the SG franchise often has a ball with subtly changing the status quo as the show progresses. Atlantis has been discovered by the Wraith, and even with the fully charged ZPM that Daedalus is bringing, I doubt they'd be able to move the city to another planet. I know what the solution is, but I dunno if it gets implemented in this episode or an upcoming one, so I won't discuss it here.

You lookin' forward to this as much as I have been? Good! So in the abscence of a dedicated Stargate forum here on Flare, let the games begin!

Mark

PS - The Daedalus is NOT QUITE the sister ship of Prometheus, at least in outward appearance. It's NICE. Watch for it. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am all for an Asgard presence, though not so much for this "they don't like handing out weapons" stuff. Their engines constitute a weapon, if one wants to go down that road.

Uh, it seems like they'll get a free pass on Wraith attacks for awhile. It would probably be a good idea to reestablish an Alpha site right away and run all their missions through that, so that, if and when they reencounter the Wraith, they can keep up the fiction of Atlantis being destroyed for awhile longer.

The Daedalus is indeed a nice looking ship.

Seriously though, an Asgard character = thumbs up.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 Wraith hiveships down, at least 55 to go.

Daedalus. Me likey.

And somebody please tell me they also see a strong resemblance between Super-Ford and Post-Ne'tu Apophis.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hermiod is voiced by Trevor Devall, whom I've met a few times through his voice work. Nice guy. Deadly funny, and it seems like it shows. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the Daedalus is one sweet looking ship. I think the outer pods are very reminiscent of the original Galactica, although obviously they're dual-purpose (what with the aft ends being for engines).

I've got clogged ears, so for the first ten minutes, I kept thinking that they were calling the Asgard character "Hernia". [Big Grin]

For a second, I was desperately hoping that a shot of the Daedalus landing on one of Atlantis' piers would finally give us a good scale shot of the entire city, but no such luck...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've done a bunch of screencaps that can be seen here clicky.

Shots of the Daedalus display screens show that when filmed, the Daedalus was probably supposed to be look a lot like the Prometheus. There's a couple shots of Caldwell and one of Novak showing two different patches for crewmembers. And then there's the shots of the Daedalus herself.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them having two different patches, especially since it looks like they delineate command crew from the technical crew.

And the Asgard's muttering was just funny. First time I remember seeing one with an attitude.

I kinda curious what happened with the Daedalus' final attack. They had been beaming missiles into the ships with the Asgard beam (something they shoulda done in Trek more often), but suddenly the Wraith popped up some sort of countermeasure. I'm sure the writers didn't want to make things too easy to for the Atlantis team, but I'm waiting to hear the in-universe explanation. The Wraith aren't exactly dumb, so maybe they were able to come up with something quickly?

And I love the Daedalus' design - much better aesthetically than the Prometheus!

B.J.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but that might fall into the realm of technobabble. Can't have that. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they activated some sort of shield technology. Maybe their current shield protected them from the same kind of attack from Ancient transporters, but not configured for the Asgard/Human transporter.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we've ever seen an Ancient teleporter that didn't require both a transmitter and a receiver (the rings, for instance, or those broom closets). The Asgard beams are apparently unique in their versatility.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I noticed about the patches that was kinda weird was the 3 bridge crewmembers: Caldwell had the patch with the ship on it, along with the pilot to his left. But the "gunner" on his right had the patch without the ship.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at this image:
http://topher.pleh.net/screencaps/sga2x01/daedalus07.jpg

Is that the Earth Point of Origin symbol modeled into the structure on the Daedalus' side?

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not a lighting trick...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps