Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly: "Serenity" (part one) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firefly: "Serenity" (part one)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone is up for this, or cares, but the Sci-Fi Channel (in America) is showing the series, starting in, like, half an hour or so, before SG-1; we didn't have threads about various episodes the first time around, and maybe there are people who haven't seen it before but still would like to? Maybe?

Or this is just another vanity thread.

Spoiler-protection for an aborted TV series from 3 years ago is probably unnecessary, but I guess if somebody mentions they haven't seen it before we might adjust our comments accordingly.

OK, my comments.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote yes, because Firefly is definitely discussion-worthy. I'll be interested in seeing how the comic book series ties in too.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... since someone changed the name of the thread, I'm guessing we're officially in episode discussion mode.

I've loaned out my DVDs and don't get cable, so I'm going on memory here, but there were a number of things I really dug about S. part 1.

The nuance of the character development was great. I remember the specific example of Mal wearing a cross and even kissing it during the battle of Serenity Valley indication a religious faith. Then, years later, when the story picks up, he has a big problem with having Book on board. His bitterness never needed to be mentioned to be understood. It's just great writing.

When FOX made them ditch the pilot and air "The Train Job" as the first episode, they had to recover alot fo that introductory ground in alot less time. It was still done well, but it felt rushed, especially after having seen the actual pilot.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw Firefly, although during that time it aired I was either in boot camp and in the Persian Gulf.

So the episode that aired on 22Jul is the first episode I've seen. It has that same annoying camera action like Battlestar Galactica and a few other shows. I can't stand shakey camera movement that's either out of focus or suddenly zooming in and out.

The only redeeming quality I discovered in this first episode was the cute Jewel Staite.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it only goes out of focus once to symbolize an orgasm.

When did the name of this thread change? Because the one it has now is the one I remember giving it.

Here's something odd: the picture freezes once or twice during Inara's spongebath, and I've always assumed that that was an error on my DVD, but I guess not.

It is kind of annoying that they didn't show it in widescreen. Several shots are set up for it, resulting in parts of characters hanging off the sides of the screen when shown fullframe.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes, why wouldn't you like the more natural camera movements? Sure, it can be a little disorienting sometimes, but when it's properly done (as it is most of the time), it conveys a lot more information subconsciously, contributing to the feel of the scene, and makes it a whole lot more interesting.

I still love "Star Trek", but I'd much rather watch a show that has a dynamic camera perspective that makes me feel like a part of the story than a static or rigidly-controlled viewpoint that turns me into a completely passive viewer.

But maybe that's just me. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I thought for sure the original thread title was something more generic about Firefly... or maybe my crack just kicked in... I don't know.

Anyway... as to the camera movements... I really like them. They continue it throught the series and, like the no-sound-only-music treament of the space scenes, I think it's something that makes the visuals quite unique. It looks some someone on the ground is trying to capture the action and I think it's cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

So has anyone else bought the first issue of the comic? I liked it well enough, though not a lot happens.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who changed the name of the thread and why?

Re: Jewel Staite: hot.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The name of the thread was never changed!

Or, if it was, it was promptly changed back.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Jewel Staite is quite the pretty. I think I'm more of an Inara fan though. IIRC, they kind of hint at a relationship between Inara and Kaylee in "Serenity", but pretty much drop it after that.

I think it's hilarious in "Out of Gas" (I think) when we see how everyone first joined on, to find out that sweet little Kaylee is a bit of a slut.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Inara and Kaylee? You mean like a big sister, little sister thing, right?

I am more a Saffron man myself, but definitely Kaylee over Inara (not it THAT way you sickos). Kaylee is not a slut. She just likes engines. A lot.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh yes... Saffron definitely topped them both. Though she had a tendancy to poison people.

I go the distinct impression that there was more going on between Inara and Kaylee than sisterhood. There was one scene that kind of hinted at it. I'll have to re-watch.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a scene in 'The Train Job' where Inara is brushing Kaylee's hair. You could take this to imply more than sisterhood, but the dialogue suggests otherwise. Kaylee asks Inara various questions about what it's like to be a companion and seems very, very innocent. Then Inara suggests putting Kaylee's hair up as a way to attract Simon's attentions. I doubt Inara would do that if she was involved with Kaylee.

Personally, I find myself more physically attracted to Inara but perhaps this is because she is always 'preened'. If Kaylee did put her hair up and washed her face though...tough choice. On a personality level though, Kaylee wins hands down. A woman who understands technology, yay!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is a scene in 'The Train Job' where Inara is brushing Kaylee's hair. You could take this to imply more than sisterhood
Because sisters never brush each other's hair, right? [Roll Eyes]

And if you think Kaylee is all sweetness and innocence then watch "Out Of Gas".

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps