Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Think we could...?

Author Topic: Think we could...?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think we could now put the Enterprise forum to rest and replace it with a SG1, SGA and/or a BSG forum? (with strick spoiler rules).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise ought to stick around until some reasonable amount of time for postmortems has past.

There still isn't enough Stargate or Battlestar Galactica traffic to justify a forum, in my opinion.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still for a combined SG1/SGA forum. They continue to outpace the SW forum in traffic, even compared to when ROTS mania was at its peak. Giving Flare a Stargate forum would significantly cut down on the need to sort through here for other SF threads, as some members have complained before.

Enterprise is going into syndication now, which gives it a bit more life, and thus should keep it around. I come to Flare prinicpally for the Trek, but I believe a Stargate forum in this section would be more than beneficial.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not a "Friday Night Sci-Fi Channel Forum" which could contain SG-1/SGA/BSG threads? Well, aside for Sol's logic.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are still plenty of places haven't seen Enterprise season 4 yet. Why, just this week someone registered and resurrected some recent threads in that Forum.

And what's the point in having a separate Forum for Stargate? It's not like there's so much traffic there that any threads about those shows are being lost in the mix.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, going solely by the amount of posts placed, there's not a lot of point in having a separate Star Wars forum anymore either, except to keep Nim employed, productive, and loyal. B)

"There still isn't enough Stargate or Battlestar Galactica traffic to justify a forum, in my opinion."

Maybe not in absolute terms, but it does account for one in every two threads started here, and shouldn't forum allocation be based on relative popularity rather than on wether some arbitrary Subject Traffic Limit has been exceeded?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
There are still plenty of places haven't seen Enterprise season 4 yet. Why, just this week someone registered and resurrected some recent threads in that Forum.

And what's the point in having a separate Forum for Stargate? It's not like there's so much traffic there that any threads about those shows are being lost in the mix.

I have still seen nothing of Season 4 either...I'll probably be dredging up those threads when I finally get to see them (probably not untill the DVD's are out, I'm sad to say).

I'd keep Enterprise forum around untill all four seasons are out on DVD for at least a month (say January?) so we can discuss the DVDs.

I think we could use a Stargate forum eventually, but if you want to discuss recent SG1 plots, you could just search through the old threads in "General Trek". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The situation has been discussed, and the moderators and administrators have all reached an acceptable consensus.*

General Trek, Enterprise, General Sci-Fi, and Star Wars will be merged into one forum named Science Fiction Discussion. Starships and Technology will become inclusive of all sci-fi tech (not just Trek) and be renamed Sci-Fi Technology. Forum Competitions will be merged with Officer's Lounge and renamed Fun and Games. The Flameboard will remain unchanged. The Titan and UP3 forums will be merged with Design, Artwork, and Creativity. Incoming Hail will remain unchanged while the Moderator's Corner will be renamed The Honeycomb Kids Hideout.**

Also, I will be proclaimed Princess of Ponies and take my long-deserved spot as fourth in command of the Flare Sci-Fi forums.***

Notes:
* I'm lying.
** My nose is growing ever longer.
*** My pants are on freakin' fire here.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...you're a lying, long-nosed flamer?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

You might be surprised, Lee -- over at the SCN, we only had the general sci-fi forum, and had just a few threads for Stargate and Galactica, but when we added new, dedicated forums, we drew noticeably more traffic that actually ended up justifying the new forums. Basically, "If you build it, they will come."

'Course, Flare is a little bit lower traffic, with a much more specialized membership. It might not be as reliable a principle here. However... an argument could be made that Stargate is quickly becoming a franchise of its own, and with enough diverse elements in the fictional universe developing, a dedicated forum could possibly be supported.

Although admittedly, if the Stargate content is given its own forum, then what goes in General Sci-Fi?

Ah well, this was just musings anyway... just my own thoughts on the issue. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps