Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly: "The Train Job"

Author Topic: Firefly: "The Train Job"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, the old voiceover is back. Well, one of them. Plus an onscreen date! Huh.

Though I gather the voiceover was never something the creators wanted, seeing as how it isn't on the DVD set.

This is about where my satellite screwed up, rendering the channel unwatchable. Awesome. So, I don't know. Discuss. Or not. And how about the crazy antagonist surprise in the second issue of the comic book?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to go into the comic book store today and see if they have the first too issues. Their shippment of the first one was damaged so I never got it. But you've sold me on going into town at lunch to check it out.

I had the same thought about the voiceover... it must have been a studio decision and not a creative one. I never minded it, but I can see why they left it off the DVDs if Joss never wanted it.

What do you mean an on-screen date? Did it show up in text at the bottom of the screen like a Stardate? What was the date, out of curiosity?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was during the voiceover sequence, which was basically a bunch of clips from the first pilot, much like the credit sequence, only different clips.

I don't recall the date exactly, though I'm pretty sure it is on the internet somewhere. It is 25XX, anyway. I was surprised because you often see people claiming the show takes place at such a point in the future, and I didn't remember that there was a date attached to the original broadcasts, and thus was left in the dark.

The comic is pretty good. I mean, it is, you know, authentic, and not a sharecropped media tie-in. I have a problem with one of the antagonists. And it is short, but then I suppose if it was any longer than three issues it wouldn't be completed before the movie was out.

It might be less pronounced with a week inbetween, but when I watch the DVDs, "The Train Job" is always kind of jarring. It isn't so much the rapidfire character introductions as it is the captain's odd hyperlevity. The space monkeys make for a cute line and all, but they don't quite fit, tonally.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefly takes place in 2517, so says the Wikipedia article. I would post a link but Flare doesn't seem to like parentheses in HTML tags.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the comic book store today and they don't have more of the first issue in and they were bloody already sold out of the second.

I believe "Train Job" was intentionally jarring as the studio wanted something with more action and more comedy. They essentially thought the audience was too dumb to like something that wasn't in their face. I think they made a darn fine episode even with all the crap the studio was throwing at them.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That's not the half of it. Consider this.
Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching the series for the first time on the DVD, and I like this episode, despite the 'jarringness' mentioned above. Doubt I would have enjoyed it as much without having seen 'Serenity' though, as there is sweet FA introduction to the characters.
I liked the humour throughout, the drugged up Jayne was great! I even laughed at the end when Mal kicked the big Russian guy into the engine and the next guy was brought up to hear Mal's proposal. But maybe I just have a sick sense of humour. Yes, that's quite likely.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps