Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG "Resistance" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BSG "Resistance"
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... The miniseries started us out at SNAFU (situation normal: all fracked up). I'd say things jumped to TARFU (things are really fracked up) when the fleet had to jump and abandon the non-FTL-capable ships to the Cylons. When things escalated from TARFU to FUBAR (fracked up beyond all recognition), I couldn't say, but this episode has moved us squarely from FUBAR to TASFUIRA (things are so fracked up it's really amazing), and I know of no higher operating condition.

Mrs. Tigh needs a large dose of explosive decompression. No wonder our poor henpecked Saul lives in a bottle.

It's gotta be a little galling for Starbuck to have been ambushed by a Triad -- sorry, Pyramid -- team, but I'd say things are looking up (for the moment) on Caprica.

The felgercarb-storm that Tigh created and fed whilst in command is turning into a fascinating story arc, especially now that Commander Adama is back on his feet. Saul's got a lot to answer for...

And I feel so sorry for Tyrol. He gets back to find out Boomer shot the Commander, only to find himself suspected of being a Cylon, too. Thanks to Baltar, his revulsion to Boomer gets shaken up and his unshakable love starts coming through again -- just in time for Boomer to get shot and killed by Kally. Man.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Mrs. Tigh needs a large dose of explosive decompression.

I'm glad somebody else wants to see this woman die a terrible death.

quote:
And I feel so sorry for Tyrol. He gets back to find out Boomer shot the Commander, only to find himself suspected of being a Cylon, too. Thanks to Baltar, his revulsion to Boomer gets shaken up and his unshakable love starts coming through again -- just in time for Boomer to get shot and killed by Kally. Man.
That was really what grabbed me in this episode. I didn't even dawn on me until this episode began that Tyrol would suspected of being a Cylon, and then to see Tigh having him tortured... Wow.

And on a similar note, am I the only one that's been having trouble sympathizing with either one of the Boomers?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Crashdown appears to be the only one who died since the beginning of the previous episode. The count went from 47 862 to 47 861.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And on a similar note, am I the only one that's been having trouble sympathizing with either one of the Boomers?
I've frequently thought that Boomer -- the one on the Galactica, that is -- has got one of the rawest deals of all the characters. Mentally, she is (was?) fully Human, not realizing her identity, and thus being manipulated on a subconscious level. In effect, she had a split personality, and one had no awareness of what the other was doing. She was subconsciously forced to use the people she cared for most against themselves (ironically, both by the Cylons, in forcing her to exploit poor Tyrol, and by Baltar, who was playing mind games with her).

I don't know what to think about the one who was on Caprica with Helo... that's a tougher one to figure out. Number Six commented about how the Boomer model was a "flawed" one, but that seems really bizarre, considering how the Cylons seem to be striving towards perceived sentience and equality/similarity with Humans. Were I to speculate, I'd say that Boomer was probably one of the last of the humanoid models in the first batch of twelve, and probably ended up the most Human-like. Since she (both copies that we've seen the most of) has the most Human-like qualities, those qualities which make her sympathetic and allow her to relate to us are exactly the qualities that are also being used against her. It's really pretty twisted, I think.

On another matter... I've got this sinking feeling, deep down, that these "Resistance" members are all in fact Cylons, and that the Cylons are for whatever nutty reason trying to pull the exact same trick that Boomer pulled on Helo in season one, only on a larger scale, and this time against both Helo and Starbuck. Think about it: the original subject(s) are stranded, lost and alone, and are suddenly "rescued" out of the blue by a savior that they didn't know even existed. They're then led on some kind of cat-and-mouse adventure across Caprica that's supposed to explore and reveal something crucial about either the Cylons or the Humans (or probably both).

"There's an old, old Earth saying, Mister Sulu: 'Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me.'" What do you think?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that there are more than 12 individuals in the resistance group, and the mini specified there are only 12 types of Cylons.

Nothing to stop them from making more, however.

That's the drawback with this type of plot device, though. It's gonna get old and can easily get pulled out of the hat. "Oh, we're stuck. Well, let's just reveal that so-and-so is a Cylon."

Are there really 8 Cylons in the fleet? We may never know...

quote:
Saul's got a lot to answer for...
But I doubt he will. I mean, next week Martial Law is still in place, the preisdent is still on the run and Adama is in command with Tigh at his side. Situation is the same, just the players have changed.

With this Boomer dead, does it make room for the Caprica Boomer to come onboard with the baby?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that Space Basketball team were Cylons, why would they have been talking amongst themselves about how they thought Helo and Starbuck were Cylons? Just on the off-chance someone was hiding nearby and overheard them?

I could see maybe a Cylon or two having infiltrated their little commune, but I don't see all, or even a large number, of them being Cylons.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlights: Roslin confronting the guard during her escape. Baltar extracting information from Boomer. (One of the only things we've seen him do that wasn't explicitly at the urging of Six.) Cally punching that guy.

I thought it was a little weird that Billy would help out in all the planning but not escape with them because he thought what Roslin was doing was wrong. (According to the downloadable commentary thing, the actor was trying out for a pilot, and they needed a way to have him not be around for awhile, or, if said pilot was picked up, be around at all. But it wasn't.)

It also seemed like they had a lot of help with the jailbreak. If Adama hadn't come back, just how long would Tigh have been able to hold on to command? And what's with Gaeta? Disagreements should be taken through the proper channels, but then he covers for Dualla?

Did the eight Cylons include Boomer?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If that Space Basketball team were Cylons, why would they have been talking amongst themselves about how they thought Helo and Starbuck were Cylons? Just on the off-chance someone was hiding nearby and overheard them?

I could see maybe a Cylon or two having infiltrated their little commune, but I don't see all, or even a large number, of them being Cylons.

Whoops, you're right -- I forgot about that little scene at the beginning. Whew! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If that Space Basketball team were Cylons, why would they have been talking amongst themselves about how they thought Helo and Starbuck were Cylons?
Maybe if they all THOUGHT they were human? But that's just a thought. If any one of them is a Cylon, it's the one that's obviously gonna bang Starbuck. Get the other side of the pregnancy picture going. But then, I don't see Starbuck keeping a baby.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit of a ludicrous gun overload this time round. The colonies have somehow, in a burst of parallel development, manufactured Uzi and Skorpion machine pistols. It makes it hard for you to suspend disbelief that we're seeing an alien culture, especially after seeing a Hummer/Humvee. They did a nice job of dressing the pistols (revolver and semi-auto ones), and you could shrug off having the occasional P90 popping up. But it's all becoming a bit hard to ignore.

Also, where exactly does one pick up a SA80 (the British Army rifle) in the US or Canada? Are they on sale there? This is the second time we've seen one appear (that I know of, anyway - the other time was Zac Adama's honour guard where you saw several). I know there are replicas available, and they very rarely use real guns on sets these days anyway, but I'm curious. But, hey! It's an 'alien' weapon I myself have fired. Cool.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which brings me right back around to one of my biiiiig problems with the entire series: the Twelve Colonies of Kobol are advanced, space-faring cultures who have FTL propulsion and were able to create (don't get me started on this -- that's a whole 'nother rant) a "race" of artificially-intelligent beings... but they use slugthrowers as sidearms and all the weapons we've seen their ships fire are projectile-based, as well.

One of the things I loved about the original series was the Colonial Warriors' CO2 laser pistols -- bright white flash at the muzzle simultaneous with a small explosion at the aim-point. No "laser bolt" effect. They did it like a real pulse laser would do it (if we get the guts miniaturised to that point).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will bet right now that lasers will never ever ever replace propelling small bits of matter at high velocities as the primary means of killing people and breaking their stuff.

Maybe.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of "parallel development" points that gripe me. It's one of the areas where I feel TOS really excelled at over the new one.

It's an alien culture. True, they are all human, but it's still a foreign, alien culture. Why is it they know about Craps and rolling six the hard way?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit, when you look at what we saw of the Twelve Colonies, it seems hard to believe they'd have been able to create a race of sentient AIs that would then be able to equal then better their creators in technological development. They obviously have sophisticated computers, but I'm still in the dark about how networking them all together makes them so much more vulnerable to hacking by Cylon Wi-Fi.

Perhaps the original Cylon war left humanity at a slightly-lower stage of development? If a lot of the sum total of human knowledge is stored in computers, and those computers bugger off as part of the Cylon exodus, then you're left with what's in college textbooks!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ACK! Not that, anything but that!

I always figured the problem was that some computer systems, say the navigational ones, were required to have a contact with the outside world to function properly. I mean, not much point to navigational computers without the ability to pick up EM radiation, right? SOME systems are gonna be vunerable no matter what. The point is to isolate those from the other systems. Keeping the completely internal systems from connecting to each other is just an additional point of paranoia.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps