Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "The Ties That Bind" (Spoilers)

Author Topic: SG1 "The Ties That Bind" (Spoilers)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh... Some comedy episodes are good, others not so. I preferred Atlantis' comedy this week, but those guys have had their dynamic in place than the still-changing team here. Some gems here though, but I mostly want a new team in place before going further.

-Anyone notice that SG-1 is now using the same wormhole graphics as Atlantis too? It's in the episode this time and not just the opening. I appreciate the change, but I'm still in favor of a better one than that.

-SG-1's budget woes are back! Now, since Atlantis and its technology is so much more important than the lack of Goa'uld and Replicators in THIS galaxy, they've cut the SGC's budget by a whopping 70%. This will mean less teams, less hardware, and a whole lot less exploration. Few people seem to believe the Orii are a major threat, despite the spontaneous combustion last week. Instead, all the cash goes to significantly expanding Atlantis (As mentioned on that show) and building more Daedalus-class battlecruisers.

-Yes, Daedalus class! Not really a "sister ship" to the Prometheus as McKay inferred, they acknowledge it here and that the Daedalus is the first of a production run. Is it still the BC-303 project? Is Daedalus registered as BC-304?

-This is very much a sequel to Vala's first episode, giving us those quirky aliens again and their desire for all that naquadah, and how Vala got that cargo ship she had in the first place.

-Also, we get an inkling of what's been going on with all the Goa'uld assets since their empire's collapse. Apparently, a lot of cargo ships and Al'kesh have fallen into the hands of local alliances, mercenaries, or traders.

-Danny's still whining about not being on his way to Atlantis. Is Daedalus not making regular trips? Is she carrying enough cargo and supplies on her last trip to make an extended stay in Pegasus for her crew and for Atlantis? Hmm..

-At the end, they say that the SGC may not have to face the cuts, if they can let the international committee have a watchdog on them. This is of course setting up for the future... But in the meantime, I'm guessing they're acceed to their wishes in order to keep prepared for the inevitable Orii threat.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vala had a nice pulse pistol.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really related to the episode, but when did we start referring to Prometheus as BC-303? I thought it had always been called X-303. Is it some fandom speculation that crept into general usage, or was it actually called that in an episode somewhere?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prometheus was tagged as "BC-303" sometime in the last two seasons, when she was fully commissioned. I think it was in the seventh-season episode with the Unas, where some SG leader was looing for naquadah specifically for the "BC-303 project".

In seperate news, here's a deleted scene, courtesy producer Joe Mallozzi. It's from when the gang meets up with the two hapless Alliance guys:

#Tenat eyes Mitchell.

TENAT: Your name?

MITCHELL: Cam Mitchell, bounty hunter.

TENAT: Never heard of you.

MITCHELL: I try to keep a low profile, let my work speak for itself. Don't like to brag, but I've captured some of the most dangerous criminals around.

TENAT: Such as?

MITCHELL: Well ... Grabthar the Hammer.

TENAT: Never heard of him.

MITCHELL: The Olsen Twins of Omega 3? Moesha the Vile?

TENAT: No.

MITCHELL: Trebek the Destroyer?

Jup pipes up -

JUP: Him I've heard of.

I hope there are extended versions of these things on the DVDs. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny, I actually loved the comedy this week... the continuous "what's wrong now?" looks among the team, each time finding that they have to go find ANOTHER object that Vala pawned off during her wacky adventures throughout the galaxy... And little things like the monk who was actually a smuggler -- "If I have to say one more prayer, I'm going to kill someone." Hah!

Concerning the ships... My guess is that the "BC-303 Project" referred to the construction of more sister ships to the Prometheus, at least originally. The main section of the Daedalus is certainly pretty much identical to the Prometheus, but the "tack-on" modules are changed, as was the tower. I think that the Daedalus probably started out as an identical copy of the X/BC-303, but then evolved with all the extra technology that Earth acquired or was given, and based on the experiences of the prototype, they refined the design for better performance.

(Also, the "Atlantis" producers wanted to have a different, distinctive design to distinguish the show from SG-1, I'm sure. [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Oh, absolutely. [Smile] It's mostly implied that Prometheus was NOT built from scratch following the beginning of SG-1, but existed at least as a mostly-complete theorhetical design based on alien enounters and technology gathered before the Stargate program began.

Once SG-1 started blowing up Goa'uld motherships and learning that hyperdrives were in fact possible to copy, they fished out what America's best eggheads could come up with in a space warship, built it, and strapped a naquadriah-based hyperdrive to it once they figured that out. The fact that they could refit the Prometheus with a salvaged Al'kesh hyperdrive, and subsequently an Asgard hyperdrive, shields and weapons into the existing design suggests that the Prommetheus was always meant to be a test platform for alien tech.

Probably whilst building the Prometheus, they figured out several improvements to the basic design that could be made, knowing now the sort of technology that was out there in the galaxy. The result is the Daedalus, which could have started out with the smae basic framework, but as Dan said they could have added more and larger hangar facilities built specifically for the X/F-302s, a profile more suited for hyperspace travel, etc.

So it seems that Prometheus will be the only ship of her design, and that the Daedalus will now be the standard for Earth defence. One wonders if the international committee got their paws on the Prommie or the Daeddy designs, as promised to them several years ago...

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point it's going to seem a little weird when Carter comes back.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look at the Prometheus as an equivalent of Lockheed's "Have Blue" and the Daedalus then as the Nighthawk.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a better analogy might be Enterprise versus Nimitz class carriers, since they're both in active service rather than just a technology demonstrator or prototype. But we are thinking along the same lines.

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
At this point it's going to seem a little weird when Carter comes back.

Indeed.

(Speaking of which, Teal'c also is still not part of the team... [Wink] )

At this point, I'm hoping that they don't just drop and abandon Vala as soon as Carter comes back to the show, and find a way to have her stick around (though perhaps not so prominently) for the remainder season... that character (and the actress, of course) is unbelievably hilarious, and it would be a terrible shame to be using her as nothing more than a temporary, gender-specific placeholder for a main character.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelievably?

As far as the IMDb knows, (and with the usual caveats that precede such a statement) she isn't in episodes 7 though 13, at least.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Well, I mean "unbelievably" compared to her prior work on "Farscape", which was a whole lot more serious. Maybe I overdid the hyperbole a little, though. [Wink]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, I was just curious, really, about the specifics.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
I think a better analogy might be Enterprise versus Nimitz class carriers, since they're both in active service rather than just a technology demonstrator or prototype. But we are thinking along the same lines.

B.J.

Given that type of parallel it will be interesting to see what the D can REALLY do. If I remember correctly the E has 8 reactors that take up a LOT of the center of the ship while the N only has 2 and therefor carries more supplies, ammo, avgas etc.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I've watched/downloaded the first 5 (haven't watched the 5th just yet) episodes of SG1 - and the first 3 (downloading 4 and then 5) of Atlantis. I've only been watching and ITCHING to watch SG1. I WILL get around to watching Atlantis - but I've been enjoying SG1.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps