Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Anyone read Neal Stephenson?

Author Topic: Anyone read Neal Stephenson?
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought "Cryptonomicon" earlier this year but haven't started it yet. I decided to read some of his earlier stuff first, namely "Snow Crash." I'm only about 100 pages into it but I gotta say, he's pretty good. Any thoughts?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree Agree Agree

If you can, get to "The Diamond Age," which matches the style of "Snow Crash" in that there are several simultaneous stories and big philosophies which will meet each other during the course of the novel.

God, I envy this guy his talent.

jh
Ex-Member

Have you read "Cryptonomicon"? I was originally attracted to it because it was drawing a lot of comparisons to Pynchon, but with a sci-fi twist, which just sounds like a fantastic angle. Plus there were some really interesting comments from him on Salon.com.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's good. Main problem he has is with ending his stories. It's as if he just gave up, both on "Snow Crash" and "The Diamond Age."
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sadly true. Genius at research, plot, characters, world-details... but both of his previous tomes have had weak endings.

jh
Ex-Member

Agreed. I just finished Snow Crash and though the build up toward the end was well done, I think, the end itself came so abruptly that it made me wonder if I had misread something or skipped over a page. I hope Cryptonomicon does better.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps