Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Galactica landing ops (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galactica landing ops
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, her life and an irreplacable weapon upon which the fleet assumes its life depends.

Well, thus far irreplacable. I don't even recognize that future episodes exist!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the naval terms thing, I agree that they are probably a holdover from the days of seagoing navies on the colonies."

Older than the colonies, certainly. They already had interstellar travel by the time the colonies were founded.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it is possible they lost it in the interim. We know their history is discontinuous.
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their history must be discontinuous - if the colonies had always had interstellar travel since their founding then the location of Kobol (and Earth) would hardly have faded into legend, would it? It would be on a starmap aboard their ships, not stuck in Elosha's book of vague mysticism.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Moore's commentary for this episode suggests that by Adama's orders, all viper landings on Galactica are combat landings, hands on approach as stated in the mini-series.
I can see the value in this since it gives the pilots, especially the nuggets, plenty of practice so they're less likely to screw it up when it really matters.
The incident with Kat is a prime example, better that she freak out during a routine mission than during a fire fight. This way she's only putting her life at stake.

That's probably the best explanation I've heard, and it works quite well. Still, there's got to be a point in non-combat ops when someone's having so much trouble they'd call if off and bring them in slow.

I just thought of something else - when they're bugging out, how the heck does Captain Kelley (or whoever's in charge of the landing pattern) keep track of that many ships at once? Every time we see them coming in after protecting the fleet's departure, all the Vipers are practically hitting the deck at the same time. Maybe that's part of the reason for the combat landings after a routine patrol - when you do have to bug out, nobody's there to guide you personally in?

B.J.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine Captain Kelly is not the only LSO aboard. We saw Starbuck up there -- perhaps pilots on duty but not on flight-duty work to supplement the LSO roster.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, her life and an irreplacable weapon upon which the fleet assumes its life depends.

Well, thus far irreplacable. I don't even recognize that future episodes exist!

Still better than having her put the whole squadron , or indeed the whole fleet at risk during an attack.

quote:
Still, there's got to be a point in non-combat ops when someone's having so much trouble they'd call if off and bring them in slow.
Well when it became obvious she was freaking out, it was probably easier to get her to just slam it down on the deck than try and talk her through a nice gentle manoeuvre. At least this way she's down and not going anywhere.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Bastille Day," Starbuck makes fun of Flattop for coming in to hot. I agree with Reverend that they were just trying to get her down as quick and dirty as possible.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Two issues:
2. Even flying fast this would be a problem, UNLESS you postulate that the lift from the wings will counteract the gravity, which necessitates a fast entry.

You need air for wings to work.

I suppose the landing bay may have low or variable gravity.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps