Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Angry Star Trek: Threshold Review!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Angry Star Trek: Threshold Review!!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched an episode of Quantum Leap where Carla Gugino was a bubbly newlywed. Hot then, hot now. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Jason : I recommend you research the concept of "satire".

You know Jason subscribes to the concept of Satyr.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I just watched an episode of Quantum Leap where Carla Gugino was a bubbly newlywed. Hot then, hot now. [Wink]

Mark

I saw an oooold episode of the crappy cop show Hunter with Nana Visitor as the perp.
She had patinum blonde hair and dressed like Madonna.

It's was 1980's craptackular.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word on the street, and I believe this sort of came out after the show's future was in heavy doubt, so it could of course all be spin, but then I guess what couldn't?

But anyway, said word was that the show was intended to go through three stages, complete with an actual name change if CBS could be talked into it: Threshold, which we saw; Foothold, in which the aliens had developed into a serious presence and the main characters go from running a secret covert group to running I guess most of the government or something now the disturbing alien menace was public concern #1; and Stranglehold, in which the aliens would have essentially won, or almost, and the main characters would have gone from leading the fight to trying to survive in some freaky postcolonization world.

Which all sounds a lot more ambitious than the show managed to actually be.

(William Mapother, who played Ethan in Lost, also played a vaguely superpowered ((well, less vaguely in this show)) creepy bad guy on this show.)

[Speaking of this season's crop of mysterious science fiction TV shows, how awesome has Invasion become? Is it just me?]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I wouldn't know. After the first episode, I felt no need to watch any others.]
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Invasion is next for me. Most likely followed by Surface. An associate producer for Invasion was interviewed on a podcast I listen to and she was really cool and smart, but then they started getting into plot for the show, so I had to buzz ahead. That's probably a silly reason to watch it, but then I keep hearing good things.]

Interesting about the escalation of titles. The show did seem to be heading in that direction. Is why I was curious as to whether there was ever any talk of where they were going. Evidently there were 14 scripts written and only 13 shot. Not that the last one, you know, tied everything up in a nice little package. Speaking of which, that Carla Gugino...mmm...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

Mark

I saw an oooold episode of the crappy cop show Hunter with Nana Visitor as the perp.
She had patinum blonde hair and dressed like Madonna.

It's was 1980's craptackular.

I saw this!! I think I also saw her in an episode of Jake and the Fatman - of course this was all on cable tv.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was in an early episode of McGyver too. The one with the hellfighters footage. Nana was sporting the blonde.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[For me, Invasion is all about William Fichtner.]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHe was blonde when I "met" her- actually I was already an hour late for work and had to split the sci-fi con she was a guest at, I saw her in the lobby and managed the ol' "I loved your work on DS9"....
Still, I managed to talk with casey Biggs for about half hour.

Man, I miss sci-fi cons- they've all but vanished from Florida.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invasion was heavily trailed over here, and actually has a decent timeslot, Sunday 7pm or 8pm (I forget which, probably 8). And it has the Fichtner Factor. But when it came down to it I just couldn't be bothered to watch. I think my tastes are changing, once upon a time I'd at least have given it a chance. . .

It's not Amway, it's Consolidated Products!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What are the aliens like in Invasion?

I've made a resolution to never again watch a "the Aliens are already among us" Bodysnatchers rip-off ever again, so many of these shows are just unwatchable to me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, one of the things I like about it is the nature of the titular invasion, but to describe why exactly would, I think, constitute an enjoyment-lessening spoiler. I guess I think it has an interesting implementation of the story.

Anyway, for Lee (and I suppose others), if you like Fichtner I would definitely give the first several episodes a shot. I can't quite recommend the show unequivocally, but I do like it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jason's nailed it - I got fed up of the "alien bodysnatchers among us" thing. I was pissed off when Odyssey 5 turned out to be one of those shows, although I gave it a chance; First Wave I never got beyond the pilot episode (although I have been known to idly watch a repeat on occasion, especially if it's got a respectable amount of Roger Cross in it; was well chuffed when he turned up in 24). I'm not sure if Surface gets shown over here, maybe on Sky. . .

(I've a weakness for a good bit of character acting, which is why I should really get around to watching Lost one of these years, I even cheered when I saw Daniel Dae Kim in Hulk on the telly the other day)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps