Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SERENITY!!!!!! (No doubt to be $$$$$) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SERENITY!!!!!! (No doubt to be $$$$$)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any explanation in there as to why we didn't get any city ships from the series?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whenever we saw a city ship it was off by itself, probably patrolling the outer fringes of the solar system. The Operative's fleet was probably meant for assault and assault only, and they'd need to move fast and be capable of atmospheric flight. Call me crazy, but I just can't picture those city-ships flying through an atmosphere very well...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. The Dortmunder and her sister ships (have we seen more than just her? Was the ship in the episode Book got shot the same one as in the pilot?) are more than likely just giant mobile space stations, meant for enforcement and projection of the Alliance's power by sheer force of presence, as well as firepower.

MY question to y'all would be if you thought whether ot not the new Alliance ships seemed to fit in with the established design motif of the city ships and their companion gunships. On the inside, the city ships were pretty spartan (and dare I say rather cheap-looking). The movie pwns the series sets, and uniforms while we're at it...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the three such ships seen (that I recall) all have different commanding officers.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one is named Magellan.

http://www.fireflyfans.net/referencelist.asp?s=vessels

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outrageous five-and-a-half-month bump, but I have thoughts.

I don't have a problem with Simon being actually part of River's rescue - it makes more sense than just paying some people you don't know from Adam to extract her and deliver her to you. And it rather puts "Ariel" in context, that when he hires the Serenity's crew to help him infiltrate an Allience facility, it's something he's kinda done before. And, posing as he did as some Alliance bigwig, I can imagine Dr. Swordfallerstein wouldn't even dream of giving him actual details of what was done, medically speaking, to her. The problem lies in the fact that for most of the series he appeared to be not only ignorant of what had been done to her, but also why - whereas it was made pretty clear to Simon in his persona as visiting VIP that she'd been turned into a wetwired assasin with enhanced psychic powers.

So we'll never know what Book's story was. I'm thinking former/retired Operative.

I'm sure I've encountered the idea of a merciless killer doing what eh does because he knows his actions will help bring about a better world before; however, I did like the way the Operative's eyes were opened to the realisation that maybe the people planning this better world have slightly distorted values. But you'd think the mere fact that they're OK with the idea of employing him might have given him some clue.

I kept thinking of Generations (which wasn't a bad film, really, it just lacked the scope we wanted in a Trek film), in terms of seeing a ship we'd become familiar with, from a big-screen perspective. It even crashed at the end! Bit surprised they managed to repair it so well. And what is it about genre movies which have a denouement in a shaft or cavern high above some
nasty certain death thingy? X-Men 2 (sorta), The Avengers movie, I Robot, at least two of the Star Wars films, Insurection (and even Nemesis and Generations after a fashion). . .

I'd got the impression from somewhere that Kaylee died. Good to see her live and kicking, and shagging up against the engine again, saucy minx. Wash was a surprise, although in hindsight being in a relationship with another character usually means certain death.

Using distant female screaming as a kind-of shorthand for offscreen Reaver nastiness got to be a bit overused. The idea (from "Bushwhacked?") that just seeing Reavers in action turns you into one has alweays seemed a bit daft to me, and I'm glad it didn't crop up here.

So, quite positive overall. Let's hope something more comes from it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about the merciless killer is that while the person may feel that they are necessary for some secrets to protect the creation of better worlds, killing one to try to make it so changes the scope ever so slightly. I also liked the way he ran for his life in to the escape pod.

I think I will watch it again, I bought the DVD for a change and haven't seen it since the night I bought it.

I figured one of them would die, it was a had to happen thing to me, two I did not expect.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and "Parliament" needn't contradict "Congress" - they could have upper and lower houses, just like the UK Parliament which has a House of Commons and a House of Lords.

And that looked suspiciously like a Borg manipulator arm Simon had on at the beginning. . .

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got the impression he was so much concerned about his life when he ran for the escape pod. I think he was mostly just trying to finish his mission. He knew Serenity was headed for the surface and that they might make it, so that's where he needed to go to get the job done.

Plus... things were exploding.

The whole sequence where Serenity is trying to make it to the surface is just totally cool. All the dodging and swerving and stuff blowing up and EM weapons being fired. And when Serenity finally goes into a freefall spin, the editing is magnificent, with Jayne flying across the galley.

Cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And that looked suspiciously like a Borg manipulator arm Simon had on at the beginning. . .

I thought that too! No, but it's his baton/brain grenade thing tucked under his arm.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Oh, and "Parliament" needn't contradict "Congress" - they could have upper and lower houses, just like the UK Parliament which has a House of Commons and a House of Lords.

Or the planet that Jayne's from has a local government called Congress as opposed to the Alliance government which is the Parliament.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
Member # 393

Wraith Johnson is right!

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FINALLY rented and watched it last night. I don't know if its been mentioned before but there was an overt and yet cute homage to Forbidden Planet. The Rescue pod on Miranda was "C-57D" which IIRC was the ID for the saucer from Forbidden Planet.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I did like the way the Operative's eyes were opened to the realisation that maybe the people planning this better world have slightly distorted values. But you'd think the mere fact that they're OK with the idea of employing him might have given him some clue.
Well, it's sorta the same issue that we were faced with Section 31: do the ends justify the means? Obviously the Operative believed that they do, but the point of the movie was that it's a slippery slope of justification, that leads to things like the Pax experiment. It was that revelation that created a chink in the Operative's psychological armor, that allowed him to question the almighty Alliance.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
FINALLY rented and watched it last night. I don't know if its been mentioned before but there was an overt and yet cute homage to Forbidden Planet. The Rescue pod on Miranda was "C-57D" which IIRC was the ID for the saucer from Forbidden Planet.

Yeah, well at least it's mentioned in the trivia at IMDb.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps