Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost: "Abandoned" $

Author Topic: Lost: "Abandoned" $
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shannon! I guess the lesson is, if you are a character whose backstory is strongly connected to another character and that other character dies, your time is limited. No wonder Sun is so concerned about the raft.

I guess people didn't like Shannon? Or some people didn't? I rather liked the idea of someone who had no real skills relatable to island/Twilight Zone survival, because, I mean, not everyone can be a super mercenary/doctor/shaman. Also, you know, hot.

But also growing as a person!

The irony of her rejecting Boone's money only to wind up relying on him again and again is nice.

Now who takes care of the dog?

I get the impression that no one is going to be very happy on the show for awhile.

Also: those whispers. Are they actual whispers from the others, or some sort of, I don't know, paranormal phenomenon? Some telepathic wizardry. And since either way they've clearly been hanging out on the friendlier side of the island, how come they haven't been attacking? Not enough children?

And I guess it is now pretty clear that these are, in fact, The Others, as described by Rousseau. But the question remains, was Ethan one of them? (I'm thinking no, because: Locke and Kate were able to track him, whereas the tail survivors say that the others leave no tracks.)

One other thing: I'm wondering about Sawyer's health. In interviews, the producers admit to having a lot of characters, too many to feature everyone in every episode. There are three new regulars among the tail survivors. Meanwhile the original cast has only decreased by two. So what if all this promotion surrounding Shannon's death is also a way to sneak in another shock death in the near future? Tropical infections are pretty nasty. (Though as I type this I realize I'm forgetting Walt, who, while not dead ((?)) isn't listed as a regular character anymore.)

And also I noticed Jack pass by in the hospital, which is unusual, since I am always bad at sneaky visual things.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the flashback to the hospital, where we saw jack, ties in with the 'Jack' episode, where he decided not to try to save her father, in the ER.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see Jack go by, but I did recognize the car crash situation.

You know, I really hate the promos they keep doing. It would be a much bigger shock if I didn't know what was coming, so rather than being floored by them killing off a main character, I was *waiting* for it to happen! I think that many shows would get much better ratings if they kept things like this a secret.

That being said, I was suprised that it was Shannon that got killed. (There's no way she can recover from that wound in the middle of the jungle!) I was expecting it to be Sayid because he kept saying things like "I'll be right back" and "I'll never leave you". I guess I've been watching too many badly written shows/movies.

Libby, the blonde woman from the aft section, mentioned something about kidS that the Others took. And from their later comments, I'm assuming one was hers.

So, did anyone run Walt's first appearance backwards yet, to try and figure out what he said?

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, I was surprised when they killed Shannon, even knowing someone was supposed to die. I had assumed it was just hype, and they wre only going to kill off one of the tail survivors (which, in fact, they may have done, anyway).

To answer Simon's question, I would guess that Sayid will take care of Vincent.

Now, here's my question about Walt. Is he projecting an image of himself (perhaps unconsciously) to Shannon, trying to get help? Or were the Others using his image as a way to lure her into the jungle; perhaps even at that exact moment so that she would get shot. Sayid seemed to think the latter, the way he tried to stop Shannon running after Walt, even after he saw Walt himself. But, then, if the Others were using his image as a lure, why make him appear with water running off him and speaking gibberish?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually he's not speaking gibberish. He's saying "They're coming and they're close." Except backwards. I've reversed the audio and made a downloadable archive thingy here with reversed audio of The Others whisperings to see if anyone could make any sense of it (I cannot):

Reversed Audio from "Abandoned"

And so I've also heard that Walt says some other things that make me think it's actually Walt and not some Others trick or lure.

My mother of all people told me that someone was going to die this episode and now I'm mad, because someone did and I'm a religious spoiler-avoider and yet the world is unwilling to cater to me.

ps-Vindication!! with the demanding the explanation thing... Yay.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So was Walt referring to the Others or to the tail survivors?

As for the whispering, I'm not sure if what they're whispering is backwards or not, but it's clear that they're repeating the same thing over and over, both times.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can say? I mean other than the producers. But it's interesting that whenever he appears, he seems to be dripping wet. I don't know if this means he's drowned or "water, the universal medium" or something else entirely.

I think it's the enigma of this show that I find so fascinating. I'm worried that if and when we do finally sort out what's going on, it will be disappointing...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Just as long as it's not some idiot kid holding a snow globe of the island.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps