Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lost: "The Other 48 Days" $

Author Topic: Lost: "The Other 48 Days" $
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the Others: I guess we can be pretty sure that Ethan was one of them now. No anagrams of 'Goodwin' leap out at me, but then there don't need to be any to give that name significance, in light of what is apparently their project, namely, to enforce some sort of moral standard among people living on the island. "Good people" get removed, though who knows to where. Odd how there were apparently no innocents, by their standards, among the other survivors, except for Claire's baby. I mean, OK, some group takes Walt, but only after, what, 40-odd days? They were on the tail survivors the first night. Perhaps Walt was taken because of his apparent magical power, instead of his moral status? I guess, now that I think about it, the other children appeared to be several years younger than Walt.

So I suppose the question is, are the Others enforcing some sort of experimental protocol set up by the Dharma Initiative? (new station: The Arrow, I guess) They don't look like the employees of a multinational research foundation. (And why did one of them keep that boy's teddy bear?)

One interesting thing: last week the whispers seemed to be tied to the Others, but there weren't any whispers this week.

It's also interesting that they came for seemingly nice guy Mr. Eko first, until he killed one or two of them, after which he was apparently off the list. But I got the impression, due to the degree and the way in which he expressed his remorse, that they might not have been the first people he killed.

[ November 17, 2005, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Sol System ]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Goodwin was supposed to be a suprise revelation with Nathan as a diversion, but for some reason, I suspected him from the beginning. It's also strange that whenever the Others are hiding among the survivors, they're in clean undamaged clothing, but whenever we've seen glimpses of them as themselves, they're in tattered clothes with no shoes. (The exception is the people on the boat.) Don't know what the point of that is.

Interesting that the tail survivors hadn't come across Lostzilla. Crazy French woman said that it was a "security device". You think maybe it's been keeping the Others away from the center survivors for the most part? It would be interesting if the Others weren't the ones controlling things. Goodwin did seem to have a genuine confused look on his face when they found the bunker.

B.J.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday's episode?

I missed it. They started showing repeats and stopped watching.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capturing the audio and listening back (as is my wont), I picked out what sounds like "It knows the other..." a little before that gun incident.

I am glad to have more information about what happened to the tail survivors. And I'm also glad to have confirmation of my suspicions that they too had an Ethan Rom Experienceďż˝. That little paranoid poker-game with the knife was probably my favorite part of the episode.

I didn't get the impression that the Others were only taking "good" people. I got the impression that at least on the night they came for Mr. Eko, they were strategically trying to remove people they percieved as threats. Hooray for burly men that aren't useless dolts.

Maybe the reason that the Others didn't go after Jack et al at first was in part because of the Lostzilla (that's great, btw, BJ). Like maybe The Others live on the side closer to where the tail section came down because they know that the "Security Device" prowls the area where the Jack and the Gang made shelter. So they don't go over there too often.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
So, the Others: I guess we can be pretty sure that Ethan was one of them now. No anagrams of 'Goodwin' leap out at me, but then there don't need to be any to give that name significance, in light of what is apparently their project, namely, to enforce some sort of moral standard among people living on the island. "Good people" get removed, though who knows to where. Odd how there were apparently no innocents, by their standards, among the other survivors, except for Claire's baby. I mean, OK, some group takes Walt, but only after, what, 40-odd days? They were on the tail survivors the first night. Perhaps Walt was taken because of his apparent magical power, instead of his moral status? I guess, now that I think about it, the other children appeared to be several years younger than Walt.

I thought they appeared to be the same age as Walt. Walt's, what, eight or nine? The brother and sister seem to be the same age, definitely not younger than that.
quote:
So I suppose the question is, are the Others enforcing some sort of experimental protocol set up by the Dharma Initiative? (new station: The Arrow, I guess) They don't look like the employees of a multinational research foundation.
What if the Dharma Initiative no longer exists? I don't think that The Others fit in to any aspect of the Dharma Initiative. I think they're a side effect of things going awry on the island.
quote:
(And why did one of them keep that boy's teddy bear?) [qb]
I think that was the boy or girl that had the teddy bear, as I don't think The Others are killing everyone - if they're killing anybody at all. IIRC from that one episode where Jin and Mr. Eko were hiding from The Others, the one that was dragging the bear was a small person.
quote:
[qb]One interesting thing: last week the whispers seemed to be tied to the Others, but there weren't any whispers this week.

It's also interesting that they came for seemingly nice guy Mr. Eko first, until he killed one or two of them, after which he was apparently off the list. But I got the impression, due to the degree and the way in which he expressed his remorse, that they might not have been the first people he killed.

I think that Mr. Eko is a priest or some sort of religious/holy man. He didn't talk for 40 days, which has heavy Judeo-Christian significance. I don't know that he necessary appeared to have killed others in his past, tho. I hope his character sticks around for a good long while, tho.

Don't much care for Ana Lucia, however. My suspicion is that she was military, law enforcement or possibly an EMT. Regardless, she's had prior paramilitary experience of some kind and has a seriously keen mind to pick up on the stuff she does if she's not had prior investigative experience.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Yesterday's episode?

I missed it. They started showing repeats and stopped watching.

Then you likely missed out on last weeks episode, as well, which was a new one....
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't get the impression that the Others were only taking 'good' people."

Doesn't Goodwin say that the people on the list were either good or innocent? And then he excuses his murder of Nathan by saying that Nathan "wasn't a good person."

I suspect nobody knows or is in control of everything on the island.

And while we don't know whether the Dharma Initiative is still functioning, their parent foundation is alive and well.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Also, Walt was (as his now being like a foot taller illustrates) on the cusp of adolescence. Call it, I don't know, 12? (That's how old the actor was last season, for what it's worth.) Whereas the kids in the tail looked under 10 to me.

The difference between carrying around a teddy bear and carrying around a Gameboy, anyway, though these days the kids probably have their Gameboys in preschool, and listen to their loud music while loitering at the mall.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
And while we don't know whether the Dharma Initiative is still functioning, their parent foundation is alive and well.

Thats.... odd. I don't know what that has to do with anything yet. (And I still think Alvar Hanso is Leslie Nielsen.)

B.J.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps