Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Hypertext

Author Topic: Hypertext
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here made it a point or habit to read hypertext fiction? I know some of the bigger names in this new field but I'm interested in hearing the POV from someone who's a fan or advocate of the form. Any thoughts?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Chimaera
Ex-Member

I've never heard of hypertext fiction before, just what is it exactly?

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

jh
Ex-Member

It's a bit difficult to explain. Basically it's a narrative form of fiction that utilizes multimedia and lets the reader explore the space of the text through links. One or two paragraphs a page, or a sound file, or a photo, etc which contain a link to the next page (or two links, forcing a semi-random choice). Theoretically it's a variation on Post-modern writing where the fragments add up to a larger picture. I'm not totally sold on it and my explanation, due to lack of exposure, is probably inadequate and might offend some of the practicioners of the form. But anyway...

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps