Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ($$$$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ($$$$$)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wigii!
I'm curious to see it, because when I read the books I had no idea about the religious stuff and I'd like to see exactly how thick it is. (One of my mates went to see it, and he said that Aslan might have well as shouted out "Okay, I'm going to die. For you sins. But I will then come back. A bit like that other bloke did, but this is different, because I am a Lion. Grr! See? Jesus never roared. Grr!")

(Also, looking back, the religious stuff in "The Last Battle" makes TLTWATW look like an ode to aethism.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, he may as well have entitled "The Last Battle", "Ragnarok, Armageddon, and Rapture, But with Kids and a Monkey"

And I agree that Aslan's death and resurrection was probably the biggest disappointment of the film. It could've been done alot better.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely not Ragnar�k, though. That's for filthy pagans.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ragnarok woulld be cool to see onscreen though- Fenrir could eat that lion and the midgard serpent could spew it's posion all over the annoying kids...

But I dream.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Cloud would come and KICK THE BUTT!!!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I'm generally trying to ignore this thread now until sometime after the 26th when I see the movie. Until then I found this AWESOME and LENGTHY trailer - for those who haven't seen it or for those who want to see bits of it again. It's through ninemsn.com see here: TLTWATW

I watched the large, full screen streaming trailer - I gather they are all the same - but I'm sure it went for a good 10 minutes.

OMG it is still sending shivers down my spine!

I loved these books as a kid - they started me on my journey into the world of fantasy and beyond. If the movie is half as good as what I've seen in this trailer/preview I WON'T be disappointed.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not quite ten minutes long, but it sure is long.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aslan's resurrection was somewhat disappointing, as many have pointed out. Still, very very good movie. Me want more.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, was it ever established how much time passed on EARTH between "Wardrobe" and "Caspian"? It must have had some frame of reference, since the kids were pretty amazed when hundreds of years had passed since their last appearance.

Edit: Answering my own question, it's interesting to see that the events of the first four books happen while millions of people are still slaughtering each other across Europe...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Narnia lasted a grand total of 2555 years? I guess that's what happens with bloody talking animals and heathenistic Middle Eastern's running all over the place. I wonder if anyone ever suspected the Calormen of secretly developing weapons of mass destruction. Maybe that's why the Pevensie's were there during AHAHB... they were an inspection committee.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I FINALLY saw it! I've been holding off for a few different reasons, but tonight was the night - I went. Like Harry Potter a couple of weeks ago I RELISHED sitting in a "Senstadium" cinema all to myself! Pick of the seats etc. NO annoyances. It's how I like it.

The movie: I'm speechless. I don't have words to describe at the moment the pure bliss that I have just experienced. As I mentioned these books meant a lot to me as a kid and they still do now. I adored the BBC series, I've been following the production of the movie from the first inklings mentioned on theonering.net and I was NOT disappointed with this movie AT ALL. I don't want to go on cause I'm sure most of you are not fans. I don't know who I can experience how much I loved this movie. The music was also beautiful (something I also feel strongly about). I don't think there was a grand, sweeping LotR theme or themes, no Harry Potter's Hedwig theme - or even the beautiful themes of the BBC series - or maybe there was, but the music too was perfect.

For any Loreena McKennitt fans - here of which I would say there are none, I noticed that violin work was done by a fellow session musician of hers - Hugh Marsh.

Caer Paravel - beautiful.

The Beavers - brilliant. "How's my fur?" [Smile]

When I originally hear that Tilda Swinton was cast as Jadis I was thoroughly excited and was in happy agreement with the casting decision. Well, that has NOT changed. She was BETTER than I thought! And here I was thinking that Barbara Kellerman from the BBC series was the quintessential White Witch... not anymore! [Smile]

Nice touch having her wearing Aslan's mane on the battlefield... I'd seen a pic of her from that scene before but I never realised she was wearing the fur from Aslan's mane.

As for the 'angular' fighting style that she posseses - mentioned in the first post - I believe this was VERY effective and was nice possible continuity... remember she was from a completely different world than Narnia or Earth.
James McAvoy... did a good job too.

Anyone else notice her ice-crown melted throughout the movie as Narnia emerged from Winter.

The kids were fantastic - agree with what you all say. You could almost see them grow throughout the movie. They filmed the movie in chronological sequence - which was a good idea - cause they had definately aged. This is a good thing because... that Narnian air...
[Smile]

They were just some undigested thoughts of a movie I finished seeing not 15 minutes ago.

Wow, I don't think I have anything movie wise to look forward to now in 2006 after Harry and Narnia. Oh X-men 3.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V for Vendetta.
That'll be worth watching.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Andrew: I saw it again not too long ago and for me it was definitely better the second time, not that I didn't enjoy it the first.

I picked up the thing about the melting crown the second time. I noticed she was wearing fur the first time, but didn't realize it was Aslan's mane until you mentioned it. How cool!

Her fighting style grew on me too, and you're right, it does seem quite alien, which ties in nicely with her origins.

The battle scene gave me bigger chills the second time than the first, and when the Griffins soar out over the mountain to begin their attack run, I almost let out a big "YAH!!" The music during that scene is just great. There are also a couple of great songs over the ending credits. I'm getting the sound track.

Oh... and I'm a big Loreena McKennitt fan. I sent her my illustration of "The Lady of Shalott" once and got a response from her office.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OMG OMG OMG! You did! COOL! Where is your picture of The Lady Of Schallot - I think I may have seen it on your web page?? No?

Oh the Gryffins!! I got such a lump in my throat when that part started - and having Peter at the front and Edmund controlling the rear guard.

The music is DEFINATELY fantastic. I have the soundtrack although I haven't listened to it yet as I was waiting until I saw the movie.

I thought the Fox sounded like Alexander Siddig (Bashir) but I saw that it was Rupert Everett - just bits there is sounded very Bashir for some reason! [Smile] Maybe they're from a similar region in England? Anyway the Fox - I LOVED when it said "Your Majesty" to Edmund and not Jadis.

I think I'll have to see it a second time too.

I still haven't seen King Kong yet, I have no real urgency to see it though.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm sure the piece isn't on my website right now, since it's very old, and not very good (to me anyway), but I had a postcard made of it, so I'll see if I can find it for you.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps